Collecting Celosia Seeds

lblack61(z5 NY)September 27, 2007

How ripe is ripe with them?

I have some flower-heads that are drying up and I see little white things (that must be the seeds). But I'm not sure if I should wait until the entire head is dried up or not.

Any advice?

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

The seeds ripen at different times. The lower ones will ripen first. You should see a little black seed within the dried florettes. I leave the plant in the ground and shake or rub the seeds onto a paper plate as they ripen.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 6:27PM
lblack61(z5 NY)

Thank you for the info, Karyn :-)

Linda

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 9:41AM
chestnutpatrick(7)

I rub the dried flowers between my hands and let the chaff and seed (black seeds) fall into a bowl. If you blow into the bowl the light chaff and seed will separate. This should be done outside because it is quite messy. Most of the chaff ends up on you.

PC

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 5:16PM
trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)

Hi Linda,
If you want the Celosia in the same place you can relax. They reseed so prolifically that I pull out about 3,000 "extra reseeds" each spring. If you want to gather seeds I do it like this...I take a paper lunch bag over the bloom and while I hold it tightly at the base of the bloom I lean it to the side while I shake it and tap it. You will hear the ripe seeds fall inside. The seeds are black and look like shiny poppy seeds.
Next year I am going to only grow them at the very back by the fence because they get so tall that they hide everything else. Good luck with yours.
Tina

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 8:08AM
cypresslady

I have found that the seeds on my celosia are very hard to collect. One thing I did try that worked well was spreading a sheet on the ground under the plants and gathering the seeds(looks like seed ticks lol)each evening.

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 12:47PM
carmen_grower_2007(4/5)

I just love it but it smells like skunk!!! Plant in the back of a border where you can enjoy looking at it and not smell it.

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Winter sowing in cold frame?
Has anyone used a cold frame for winter sowing?
lmconne
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
Does anyone have any experience wintersowing this species?...
ladyrose65
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
I'm using Clothier's Seed Germination Chart, is there one for Veggies?
Morz8 kindly pointed me in the direction of Clothier's...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™