Any Colorado W Sowers?

smdmtSeptember 1, 2013

Hi! Just moved to Colorado and wondering if there are any folks who have been successful at winter sowing. I live close to Boulder. I have winter sowed in other places, but this could be a challenge.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

I wintersow in Elizabeth, CO--never tried it before moving here. I've used milk jugs along the outside of a raised, covered deck. I have noticed mine sprout much later than most on this forum but have been pretty successful with most things.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:29AM
dawnco06

Hi! I live in Westminster and WS for the first time last winter. All but two of my jugs sprouted and my garden did very well this year. I start in December and continue all the way to February. I will be WS again this winter since I was able to grow a wide variety of vegetables this summer. Don't worry, the snow won't hurt the seeds. You should definitely give it a try.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:54PM
bloomingranny(5b)

Hello, neighbors. I'm in Co Springs--more than a mile high. This will be my first time wintersowing. Any tips would be appreciated.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:03PM
growcrazy(5b)

I'm in COS as well and have been propagating with lights for a while. I would love to try WS this year and would take any advice offered. I need to get most of my "operation" outdoors as it seems to get bigger and bigger each year. Are there particulars about WS in CO that I need to know?

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 12:47PM
kvenkat(5a Colo)

I live in the Denver metro area. Have WS for 3 years. About half of the things I have sown survived to become full size plants.

Even so, the Colorado climate can be challenging so before you choose your WS seeds, you might do some research on what varieties of plants grow well here. Colorado State University does trials of annual and perennial flowers. These results are listed online on their horticultural website.

A good resource for local plants and information can be found at Harlequin's Gardens in Boulder. If I remember correctly, they have info on their website about vegetable varieties that do well there.

Welcome to Colorado and have fun with the wintersowing!

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Stopping by to say Hello
Hello to all the Winter Sowers I just dropped by to...
richdelmo
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
seeds already started?
I've started several seeds in paper cups and put in...
sorie6
First Time WS... Snapdragons, lunaria, cleome... Help?
So this is my first year WSing. I planted some perennial...
david883
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™