OT: Anyone grow Solomon's Seal?

PVick(6b NYC)October 25, 2011

I got a variegated Solomon's Seal this year; the one stalk flowered and the plant has been doing fine. Until the winds last week. The one stalk has been half-sheared very close to the soil line - not completely severed, but almost.

My questions: should I take that stalk and try to root it, or will I be wasting my time? Does this plant die down to the ground in winter? Will it have a chance to return next year?

I've wanted this plant for a long while, and really don't want to lose it.

Thanks for any help/advice ....

PV

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

I say cut it back. The plant should be going dormant soon anyway, for winter. They are very hardy plants (great for dry shade!) and will come back without a problem for you next year.

I bought my variegated Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum odoratum 'Veriegata') a number of years ago. At the time I thought the $9 for one shoot seemed like a lot. The next year I had five shoots. Now I have a large patch too big to count the number of shoots! Never fear, your SS will come back bigger and better next year ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 12:41PM
gardenweed_z6a

I don't have the variegated one and I didn't plant the plain green one that's growing here but it comes back every year and produces two stems. They're loaded with red berries at the moment but I read they're nearly impossible to grow from seed. It does appear to be going dormant so I'd guess yours is as well PV.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 1:27PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I think it's late to try for a cutting too, and cuttings aren't as reliable as division and seed anyway.

If the seed is fresh, it's not that difficult - just maybe slow, its not one to give up on and toss the pot first season assuming its a no-show. Clean off the pulp, sow within just a few days of harvesting if you can. Germination may take place in Spring, or they could be slower and take multiple cycles of varying temps and not germinate for a year.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 2:48PM
PVick(6b NYC)

How do you spell relief? P-l-a-n-t--s-a-v-e-d! (Sorry - that old Rolaids commercial just popped into my head.)

Thanks for the info - I'll cut off the stem and put the plant to bed.

PV

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 3:29PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

PV, the leaves die off anyway. I cut mine almost to the ground in fall. They'll come back nice and strong next year, and they spread quickly. Mine were a division from Pitimpinai several years ago. I have divided that several times since, moving a piece to another area of my yard, and also shared some with a gardener friend.

Karen

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:22PM
PVick(6b NYC)

Thanks, Karen. Good to know I can salvage this plant, since it's one of the few I plan to take with me when I leave here.

PV

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
Im so excited, I have sprouts!!!
This is my first time winter sowing. My mom thought...
smokey28777
agastache golden jubilee
Has anyone else winter sown agastache golden jubilee?...
southerngardening24
Unknown seedling in with foxgloves
I planted foxgloves (digitalis), which are the small...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
Green mildew on soil of WS containers?
Last year, I WSd in styrofoam cups that were placed...
gardengrlz
Sponsored Products
Runner Rug: Candice Olson Pale Blue 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Bookworm Shelf by Kartell
$510.00 | Lumens
Woodard Bungalow Sling Gliding Lounge Chair - 830435-08-01B
$559.00 | Hayneedle
Colonial Mills EM59R Elmwood Braided Rug - Denim Multicolor - EM59R024X036
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Wall Mounted Anson Collection Architectural Bronze 1-light
Home Depot