OT: Anyone grow Solomon's Seal?

PVick(6b NYC)October 25, 2011

I got a variegated Solomon's Seal this year; the one stalk flowered and the plant has been doing fine. Until the winds last week. The one stalk has been half-sheared very close to the soil line - not completely severed, but almost.

My questions: should I take that stalk and try to root it, or will I be wasting my time? Does this plant die down to the ground in winter? Will it have a chance to return next year?

I've wanted this plant for a long while, and really don't want to lose it.

Thanks for any help/advice ....

PV

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

I say cut it back. The plant should be going dormant soon anyway, for winter. They are very hardy plants (great for dry shade!) and will come back without a problem for you next year.

I bought my variegated Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum odoratum 'Veriegata') a number of years ago. At the time I thought the $9 for one shoot seemed like a lot. The next year I had five shoots. Now I have a large patch too big to count the number of shoots! Never fear, your SS will come back bigger and better next year ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 12:41PM
gardenweed_z6a

I don't have the variegated one and I didn't plant the plain green one that's growing here but it comes back every year and produces two stems. They're loaded with red berries at the moment but I read they're nearly impossible to grow from seed. It does appear to be going dormant so I'd guess yours is as well PV.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 1:27PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I think it's late to try for a cutting too, and cuttings aren't as reliable as division and seed anyway.

If the seed is fresh, it's not that difficult - just maybe slow, its not one to give up on and toss the pot first season assuming its a no-show. Clean off the pulp, sow within just a few days of harvesting if you can. Germination may take place in Spring, or they could be slower and take multiple cycles of varying temps and not germinate for a year.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 2:48PM
PVick(6b NYC)

How do you spell relief? P-l-a-n-t--s-a-v-e-d! (Sorry - that old Rolaids commercial just popped into my head.)

Thanks for the info - I'll cut off the stem and put the plant to bed.

PV

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 3:29PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

PV, the leaves die off anyway. I cut mine almost to the ground in fall. They'll come back nice and strong next year, and they spread quickly. Mine were a division from Pitimpinai several years ago. I have divided that several times since, moving a piece to another area of my yard, and also shared some with a gardener friend.

Karen

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:22PM
PVick(6b NYC)

Thanks, Karen. Good to know I can salvage this plant, since it's one of the few I plan to take with me when I leave here.

PV

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
When to sow annuals?
Do you think it is a valid rule of thumb to use the...
smdmt
Containers for winter sowing.
I have some clear plastic shoe boxes but they have...
hibiscusfan zone5-Northwest Ohio
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Something to pull in more newbies :-)
Front yard in June: Vera, I finally found a pic of...
pitimpinai
I'm using Clothier's Seed Germination Chart, is there one for Veggies?
Morz8 kindly pointed me in the direction of Clothier's...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™