Potting up Milk Jugs Now

mary_maxOctober 18, 2011

I thought perhaps I could get my milk jugs full of compost now then when I go to winter sow in them I would not have to use a ton of potting soil. The jugs will be frozen by time I plan to sow but thought I could add a touch of potting soil over the frozen compost. For me this would save money as I have access to lots of fine compost much cheaper than the potting soil. And I could fill the milk jugs fuller thus not drying out so quickly. Also I would be able to have the mess outside now rather than the mess in the wintertime. I would love to hear if others do this or your thoughts on this idea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Sounds great to me. However, I'd be a bit worried using compost, not knowing whether there are fungi or other organisms that might effect germination or development of new sprouts. I like the "sterile" nature of the store-bought potting mixes.

Martha

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 6:57PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

I wouldn't use compost. too wet. Use good potting mix. Cheap isn't always best.

Karen

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 6:57PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I don't think anything sown outdoors needs to be sterile, but the compost will be the wrong texture in a container. It will be too dense, not enough aeration for seedlings roots to thrive. You really will be happier with something formulated for containers - save your compost for your garden where its invaluable (they don't call it black gold for nothing), not used inappropriately in your pots.

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 9:54PM
hummersteve

All the comments above are true and I agree with them. But I will say that before I knew better I used just plain garden soil that I dug up and I have mainly clay soil and I did mix some compost with it and I still had success with winter sowing. Now that I look back on it I wonder how I had any succes at all. But following the methods of better aeration will produce more and better results , I totally agree with that.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Brrrrr! Pretty cold out there, too cold?
I just started winter sowing and have my first containers...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
easiest annuals to winter sow
so i have all my perennials out, and i'm beginning...
gardendaydreamer
Can you re-use the potting soil from last year?
I have some milk jugs left from last year. Can I use...
jd101
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™