Mixing fine sand with tiny seeds

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)October 1, 2011

Wintersowing time will be here in a few months. There are some seeds that are like dust..portulaca was one that I encountered like that. Just read a suggestion from Sharon Lovejoy's book about mixing fine sand in an empty grated cheese container with real fine seeds to insure even distribution. Went on A.C.Moore's website and they have different colors of art sand..plus white. Can that type of sand be used to distribute fine seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliska12000(Z5)

I use granulated sugar and a salt shaker. A lot of the seeds I can see how they are distributed, and I shake around vertically, between sprinkles, etc. Fine sand would work too, just that it is heavier and seeds would want to stay on top plus they're a little harder to see how well mixed they are.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 8:54PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Thanks for your input. I think I had read about the sugar suggestion. Sure would be able to see the seeds better against the white sugar vs sand and like you said even fine sand would be heavier than sugar. Wonder if salt would work too?

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 9:32PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

No! Salt will kill your seedlings, you don't want salt even watered into your potting mix.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
Trying again after 10 years..
Hollyhocks, hibiscus, yarrow, delphinium, lychinis,...
CEFreeman_GW
Annuals
Can you wintersow, Tithonia and Salvia now? I have...
bellarosa
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #2:
Game of Zone 2014-2015 Link:This is the continuation...
ladyrose65
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™