Last years Perennial Seeds,,

syman(5)October 2, 2013

I have several store(home Depot) bought Perennial seeds...They were left in my garage...Would winter sowing them be a futile exercise, or is there some hope...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

How was the heat and humidty this summer for your seeds - both can decrease percentage of germination. There are some exceptions of perennial seeds that just don't store well under any conditions for any length of time, but for the most part you could still have germination if your garage wasn't warm and steamy for weeks on end. You might sow a little heavy to make up for decreased percentage of germination, be prepared to thin with scissors if you are pleasantly surprised.

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 10:31PM
syman(5)

It was left in the garage only for a couple of weeks, wasnt too hot..maybe 80s /so...I did bring them up but didn't freeze it.anything..Maybe I 'll just throw it on the ground and see what happens..

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 10:49PM
smarmyclothes(6a Kalamazoo, MI)

I'd say give it a try. I had some nigella seeds that a friend gave me 6+ years ago. I WS'ed them just to see if MAYBE I could get something to sprout. I was prepared for disappointment, but instead I have a lovely patch of nigella in my garden now. :)

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Newbie question. Would this work?
I have a really large clear plastic bag that I could...
christacharlene
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Something to pull in more newbies :-)
Front yard in June: Vera, I finally found a pic of...
pitimpinai
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™