List of Seeds that should be direct sown in November in Illinois

laagarden(5)November 6, 2011

I'm wondering what seeds I can direct sow right now, November, in Zone 5, so that I can get blooms in spring.

I would like to start a list, if anyone can help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drippy(7bAL)

Well, I don't direct sow anything except a few veggies, but I have started some seeds this week that need warm/cold/warm cycles (sometimes more than once). In your zone, you might have to keep such flats indoors for a few weeks, then put them out - but in Alabama the temperatures are still warm enough to qualify for a warm cycle.

Here's what's out on my shelves already:

Cornus stolonifera and cornus sanguinea (red dogwoods)
Dictamnus alba (gas plant0
Echinacea angustifolia (WCW is recommended, but you may be able to get away with just wintersowing these)
Camellia sassanqua - not sure my seeds are viable for this; I plucked them from a plant in the church courtyard
Rhexia virginica (Handsome Harry) - a little beauty that is one of my favorite wildflowers
Rosa, rugosas, and seeds from a couple of hybrids
Symphotricum novae-angliae (NE Aster)
Trollius europaea (globeflower)
Caulophyllum thalictroides (blue cohosh)
Calycanthus floridus (Carolina allspice)
Filipendula vulgaris (dropwort)
Tiarella
Viburnum opulus (cranberry)

In the next few days, I will be doing more; notably alliums, and some trees.

I am certain these could be direct sowed, but (a) I'd probably forget where they were, and (b) I like the control wintersowing in flats gives me.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 8:09PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I was always told Larkspur would do well direct sown, but when I tried it last fall/winter, I got very few plants, and many of them were late in the summer season. So, this year I'm going to winter sow them, but plant them out early. That way, I have more control over where and when they bloom. It will make seed collecting for next year easier, also.

I know Cosmos, Verbena boniarensis, and scabiosa have all self-seeded. So, they would be candidates for fall/direct sowing. The concern I have is that critters might eat the seeds or snow/rain/wind might carry them away.

Hope that helps.

Martha

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 4:24PM
jeanne

I personally think all of these should be sown later, after it gets cold, but if I had empty space and a hankering to sow seeds in it NOW for blooms ASAP, I'd choose:

allysum
bachelor buttons
calendula
annual poppies
marigolds
violas

Last week I laid dried stalks of Great Blue Lobelia and American Bellflower along the back of border to get those taller plants growing in a more suitable location. They are more summer and fall bloomers than spring, though.

Hope that helps.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
Is it too late to sow these….
Just starting winter sowing this week. Would love...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Question about cold treatment?
It's late to put some seed out that needs a longer...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™