Fungus gnats

ryseryse_2004December 22, 2012

I always thought I could control the fungus gnats with cinnamon but this batch of gnats must like it. What can I put on my indoor plants (mainly ones I have brought in from the screen porch for winter)to kill these buggers before they kill my plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

BTi (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis). Sold in the form of Gnatrol (the brand I keep on hand), Knock Out Gnats, others. In a pinch, you can buy mosquito dunks - have the same BTi as active ingredient - float a dunk in a container of water over night, then use that water to water on your normal schedule. A naturally occurring bacterium, its safe for you, your kids, your pets.

Be patient. It can take using it at least three consecutive weeks before the breeding cycle is broken and gnats are gone (kills the larvae, not the adults).

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 9:36PM
ryseryse_2004

Thanks - I have some I used this summer to control tomato hornworms.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 5:37PM

The BT (probably 'kurstaki')for caterpillars isn't the same one that is effective for mosquito and gnat larvae, your hornworm product won't help you.

The one you want is specifically Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis for gnat control, BTi.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 10:09AM
ryseryse_2004

Success!! The BT I have for Hornworms worked immediately. I know I will have to give it a second drench for the eggs in the soil, but I guess the little knats didn't know my BT was for larger critters!

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 9:51AM

OK, hope you are right and its done the trick, but do you know how BT works? It must be eaten by insects or the larvae to be effective and works by interfering with digestion - in other words, after ingesting some, they stop eating and starve, would usually take more than a day.

It won't affect eggs, it would only kill the larvae if they ate it....

The normal course for gnats is use as a soil drench each time you water on your normal watering schedule for no less than three consecutive weeks to break the breeding cycle - adult, to egg, to larvae which then becomes adult to lay more eggs.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 8:36PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

I use this stuff, works great.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: insecticide

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 6:40AM
ryseryse_2004

Since the life of a knat is 7 days, I figure I will drench the soil a couple more times to be sure I got all the little buggers.

Thanks for the input!

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Where did everyone go?
I know lots of folks are on the FB WS group but where...
indianaplantlover
Extreme cold predicted and my seeds have sprouted
I have WS cabbage sprouting here in Zone 7, but Sunday...
coffeehaus
to late
Is it to late in zone 6 to winter sow?? I went crazy...
sorie6
Help please - I need a photo of milk jugs in snow
Hi everyone, I work for a non-profit organization and...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
promix ultimate potting mix for winter sowing?
Is this kind suitable for winter sowing, since it contains...
pink_petals
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™