Wintersowing Parsley in Zone 5

em247(5a IA)December 14, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had experience wintersowing parsley in zone 5 and when you started it. It doesn't list parsley on the wintersowing website as one of the recommended herbs, and I've seen some people post about starting it later (March-ish), but it seems like an herb that would benefit from cold stratification and some freezes and thaws to loosen the seed coat since it takes so long to germinate. This is my first year wintersowing so any recommendations from you experienced wintersowers would be greatly appreciated. : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Hi, Em247,
I just started parsley in a jug late summer/early fall and it sprouted wonderfully. I'm sure it would do well with wintersowing. I would save it for later in the winter, since it doesn't specifically need stratification. Then again, it is very hardy, so would likely do fine anytime. Fennel is similar, though it tends to reseed in ideal locations, so you may never be rid of it. Both are great for the Black Swallowtail Butterflies.

Martha

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 8:30AM
em247(5a IA)

Thanks for the tips Martha. : )

I'm up to 18 containers now and I really enjoy Parsley, so I was itching to get it started, but I better just hold my horses and focus on the seeds that actually need cold stratification first and save the parsley for later in the spring. I'll be sure to plant a few extras to save for my mom or the butterflies

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 8:43AM
october17(5chgo)

Last year I started it at the end of Feb. It was a great year for my parsley in pots (for the swallowtails).

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:04PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Usually and often, parsley seeds fall off , stay in ground, over winter and germinate the following season. But I don't know what percentage of the seeds survive and actually germinate.

Another thing about parsley is that it takes a lot longer than most herbs to germinate. When you are about disappointed and want to give up on them, they start germinating.

I already have a parsley patch. What I will do is to scatter some more seeds in between the old ones. I know that the ones from last year are going to go to flowers/seed.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Im so excited, I have sprouts!!!
This is my first time winter sowing. My mom thought...
smokey28777
has anyone ws aubrieta?
Is it too late to ws aubrieta. I am in zone 5- Iowa....
maryjozone5
anybody have sprouts in jersey yet?
is anyone seeing sprouts in zones 5 &6? I put...
gardendaydreamer
Official Winter Sowing Count Zone Wars 2014-2015 #1:
This is the first thread in the official Winter Sowing...
ladyrose65
Do you remember the 'red border' someone posted a few years ago?
I loved it and would love to try some amaranths. I...
thisbetty
Sponsored Products
Parker House - Boca Corner Wall Bookcase with Desk in Cottage White
Great Furniture Deal
Quilted Top 10-inch Queen-size Memory Foam Mattress with Removable Cover
Overstock.com
Millen Single-Hole Faucet with Pop-Up Drain
Signature Hardware
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Mohawk Home Rugs Picasso Wine 5 ft. x 8 ft. Area rug
$87.00 | Home Depot
Pink Gingham Whale Pillowcase
$11.99 | zulily