Winter Soltice Celebration

dem_paDecember 17, 2013

What seeds will you be winter sowing on Saturday?

Seeds of Remembrance - In honor of my Great Aunt Johnny Jump Ups

Seeds of Life - (Fruit or Nectar) American Persimmon trees

Seeds of Trees - Golden Rain Trees

Seeds of Faith - Seeds that are at least six years old

Don

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonwolf_gw

Once my first seed order from Swallowtail arrives (which may be not until after Saturday, but we will see), I shall be planting these:

Remembrance- "Soulmate" Milkweed. Anything that attracts butterflies reminds me of my one best friend who passed away tragically six years ago in a car wreck the summer before senior year in high school.

Life- "Milkmaid" Milkweed, since the Monarchs lay their eggs on milkweeds.

Trees-I don't have any tree seeds, but for that, I shall plant either "Blue Globe" Globe Thistle or some "Pretty Betsy" Jupiter's Beard. They both look like a miniature tree or remind me of the structure of a tree.

Faith- Veronica "Sightseeing Mixture". I haven't had much luck with WSing Veronicas/Speedwells. So, I shall plant them and have faith that I shall see sprouts when the warmer weather arrives.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 1:38AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I will observe solstice by sowing various clematis seeds. My garden beds are too full and I have many plants still in holding beds so won't be planting different seeds for each part of the celebration, only the clematis seeds.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 2:02PM
gee_oh_nyc(6b/7a)

I put out 4 jugs today for solstice too... the beginning of the wintersowing season!

Remembrance: Zinnias (my great grandmother's family name was Zinniak)

Life: Lady in Red Salvia (for the butterflies and bees)

Tree: Mimosa

Faith: Seeds gathered here and there - or "what I did on my summer vacation"

Glad to join the tradition with all of you. And a special "Thanks" to wintersown.org for getting me started on all of it.

George

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 9:50PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Happy Solstice to everyone ! I participated, a little....

I found a few minutes for me in what was a really busy day with way too many interruptions and sowed my helleborus foetidus seed that arrived moist packed this week.

I really wish I were clever enough to make that significant somehow, but what can I tie stinking hellebore, aka bears foot hellebore, to so I can announce some kind of meaningful connection ;)

I wanted it, I like this plant, what else can I say. In my former garden it was blooming for me by Halloween and still looked good in May and I didn't bring it with me when I moved. Also the deer don't bother it, so the helleborus seeds became my little bit of celebrating this afternoon.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 2:03AM
ellenrr(7a)

I like reading your solstice meaningful connections. Altho I have not yet done any planting I did receive a surprise in the mail,
Sweetgrass seeds.
I don't remember ordering them, maybe they are a sample. Sweetgrass is regarded as sacred by Native Americans, and I do remember writing to one catalog company and asking them if they carried it.
It is said to smell like vanilla.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 6:20AM
More Discussions
Milk Cartons (not plastic jugs)
Can I use milk cartons for winter sowing or is the...
luigiwu
Has Anyone Wintersowed Burnet?
Love the tall, wispy flowers like Tall Verbena and...
lizbest1
Wintersowing ONLY for Container Gardening?
Hi guys, I live in the city so I mostly container garden....
luigiwu
Winter Sown Peppers (Tomatos)
I tried winter sowing last year for the first time...
midmented
I may have overdone things a bit...
So... I split out my 1 gallon pot of Di Ciccio broccoli...
pugetsoundgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™