Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda2006

where to buy Rapid Set Cement

rhonda2006
18 years ago

I live in central illinois and I am looking to buy Rapid Set cement or something similiar. Can someone tell me where I may be able to find it?? I have tried Lowe's and Home Depot without any luck. Or can someone suggest another product that may work just as well.

Thanks very much,

Rhonda

Comments (9)

• butterflybush
    18 years ago

I bought my quick setting concrete from Home Depot. I used it to make a thin first layer on a bucket. It sets up in 15 minutes. Did you ask someone who actually works in that department?

• solana
    18 years ago

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Mason Contractor's Equipment and Supplies". The better lumber yards (where contractors shop) around here have it too. And they'll load it for you.

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

Be careful in the use of that .......speaking from experience, I have had HUGE failures with items crumbling. Pavers that now look like gravel!!!!!! Some took a year to break down, but I will never AGAIN use quick set type concrete for art projects.

My own mix of Portland cement, sand, and bonding mix has withstood the test of time, as I have hundreds of leaves - some of them HUGE - and not one has turned to gravel - after 3 years of being outside.

• rhonda2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the warning. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
    Looks like it's back to the drawing board. :) Rhonda

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

Rhonda - can you use regular concrete mix??? That is what I will do when I go back to making things that broke to bits. It IS cheaper than rapid set, anyway.

• rhonda2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have used a cement/sand mix so far just to play with. I still have lots to learn in the endeavor. The only real problem I have had is the air bubbles on the surface. Some of my molds are pretty detailed. Right now, I'm waiting for the weather to break. I'm looking at 3 inches of snow in my backyard.

• billie_ann
    18 years ago

rhonda, Even the most experienced casters get "air bubbles" because there are so many things that can cause them. Too much mixing, the mold release, the temperature, the ingredients,the mold, all of these can cause air bubbles. Sometimes it helps to vibrate the mold and other times you're only adding to the problem. You can make a slurry from the same recipe to rub on the air bubbles but to my eye you always see them on a mortar mix (cement & sand). Billie

• rhonda2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks billie ann. Looks like I will have to let go of a perfect piece, and do the best I can and see what happens.

• rhonda2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry for another question. It's my brain on delay. ha! Would I have better results with less air bubbles if I used cement mix?? Thanks.

Sponsored