Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy Rapid Set Cement

Posted by rhonda2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 21:13

I live in central illinois and I am looking to buy Rapid Set cement or something similiar. Can someone tell me where I may be able to find it?? I have tried Lowe's and Home Depot without any luck. Or can someone suggest another product that may work just as well.
Thanks very much,
Rhonda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy Rapid Set Cement

I bought my quick setting concrete from Home Depot. I used it to make a thin first layer on a bucket. It sets up in 15 minutes. Did you ask someone who actually works in that department?

o

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Mason Contractor's Equipment and Supplies". The better lumber yards (where contractors shop) around here have it too. And they'll load it for you.

o

Be careful in the use of that .......speaking from experience, I have had HUGE failures with items crumbling. Pavers that now look like gravel!!!!!! Some took a year to break down, but I will never AGAIN use quick set type concrete for art projects.

My own mix of Portland cement, sand, and bonding mix has withstood the test of time, as I have hundreds of leaves - some of them HUGE - and not one has turned to gravel - after 3 years of being outside.

o

Thanks for the warning. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Looks like it's back to the drawing board. :) Rhonda

o

Rhonda - can you use regular concrete mix??? That is what I will do when I go back to making things that broke to bits. It IS cheaper than rapid set, anyway.

o

I have used a cement/sand mix so far just to play with. I still have lots to learn in the endeavor. The only real problem I have had is the air bubbles on the surface. Some of my molds are pretty detailed. Right now, I'm waiting for the weather to break. I'm looking at 3 inches of snow in my backyard.

o

rhonda, Even the most experienced casters get "air bubbles" because there are so many things that can cause them. Too much mixing, the mold release, the temperature, the ingredients,the mold, all of these can cause air bubbles. Sometimes it helps to vibrate the mold and other times you're only adding to the problem. You can make a slurry from the same recipe to rub on the air bubbles but to my eye you always see them on a mortar mix (cement & sand). Billie

o

Thanks billie ann. Looks like I will have to let go of a perfect piece, and do the best I can and see what happens.

o

Sorry for another question. It's my brain on delay. ha! Would I have better results with less air bubbles if I used cement mix?? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here