Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wooden sidewalk ideas

Posted by LindaQB z6 Kansas (g3812@webtv.net) on
Sat, Feb 12, 05 at 23:55

I am thinking of putting a wooden sidewalk down my back yard to the ponds, garden etc.
Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad regarding this idea? Does anyone have any ideas to make this easily and cheaply, I don't have much extra cash to do this.
Any suggestions would be most greatly appriciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wooden sidewalk ideas

This is what I did for making a wooden walkway. I don't know how cheap you could get by with. That would depend on how far you go with it. It is made of landscaping timbers placed a distance apart then boards laid & nailed across them. I just let the wood age naturally & I really like it. Bettyclick for a larger pic

o

Betty, all your pictures are wonderful!

o

Thanks RG! I appreciate your comment. Betty

o

BDnBAMA, that's a nice job there. Good use of the timbers as well. It's a good thing I didn't think of that last year when I was in "landscape timber mode". I must have bought around 40 of them all told, and started making tree rings and sidewalk edging with them.

Linda, that's about as good an idea as I've seen. The only other thing I can come up with off the top of my head are these prefab wooden squares they sell at some home centers. They're treated frames with treated boards nailed to them to make 16"x16" or 24"x24" squares. I don't know how much they cost, but they might be neat if you wanted a "stepping stone" effect rather than a straight path.

It also depends on how much $$$ and how long a path you're talking about. If I remember right, the timbers I bought were around $3 for one 8' long, so an 8 foot section would be $6 for the frame. If you made it 2' wide and used 2x6 lumber for the top, you would need around 4.5 8 foot boards.A 2x6x8 treated board will probably run around $4 or thereabouts, so you would be talking about $24 for an 8 foot section 2 feet wide.

o

Do you have lake with homes on it any where near you? Last year while I was driving around the lakes I saw 2 piles of wooden pier stacked up with free signs. Folks are trading in their wooden ones for those fancier maintence free types. Now I wish I had dragged those home with me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here