Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
railroadertwo

Outdoor Furniture

Railroader
19 years ago

Hello All, I recently went to home and garden show in Wichita, KS, and saw some outdoor furniture made from what appeared to to be 2x4 treated lumber, (it was for sale of course), but I thought I would like to try to make some of the items, It was just screwed and bolted together, simple construction, there was a bench with a backrest, and a chair with armrests, and a recliner. I wondered if anybody knew of any plans to make such things. Thanks

Comments (20)

• jakkom
    19 years ago

Better Homes & Gardens magazine and Sunset magazine usually have lots of plans available. However, I think BH&G sells them, they aren't free. I'm not sure if you need to be a subscriber to Sunset's website to access them either.

You might check your public library. They usually have books of these sorts available.

• suzyqute
    19 years ago

there is a book called "2X4 Projects for outdoor living" authors are Steve Henderson and Mark Baldwin Published by Lark Books that is very good ,with good directions, and lot of different plans , including: Lawn chair ,Adirondack sofa, porch swing, tables, lots of outdoor items that look very interesting and fairly easy to construct. either library or amazon.com would have
    Happy hunting and building !
    Suzy

• nonacook
    19 years ago

Have you seen the benches made from a headboard and a foot board? That sounds like what you might be talking about.

• Railroader
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I ordered the book, hope to get some ideas from it. Thanks for the info, thanks to all that has replied, going to keep looking for ideas.

• Poppy_luv
    19 years ago

Railroader..
    There are TONS of books specifically geared to outdoor furniture, and many of the regular wood mags (Wood, Workbench,American Woodworker, etc) have excellent plans with step by step instructions. I do not have my pics here (work) but I have built outdoor benches and they hold together quite well. I will try to get a picture to you and let you know how to get the plan if you like.
    >Sir Splinter

• Railroader
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I ordered the book 2x4 projects, it wasn't very helpful, didn't have what I had in mind, It appears there were lots of mistakes in the book. We took pictures of the furniture we saw, perhaps I can use those. After working on the railroad for 36 years, I am a lot better at building railroad tracks than building furniture.

• Poppy_luv
    19 years ago

I have been out of town, but still plan on posting a pic for you of the benches I built. Can you post any pictures of what you want to make? I have a very extensive library of plans that I could share....

• Railroader
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have three or four pictures we took at the show but I don't know how to post them there. Thanks

• suzyqute
    19 years ago

I am sorry the 2X4 projects book was not what you had in mind for furniture - guess my crystal ball wasn't working well that day ;~) sorry !! i haven't make any of the projects as yet,what mistakes did you notice - So I don't mess up if I decide to build something .
    Suzy

• Railroader
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Susy: I appreciated your input, do not be discouraged,by my posts, there were some mistakes in the assembly instructions, if you go to amazon.com and search for that book, you can view the user comments on the book. Thanks

• Poppy_luv
    19 years ago

Here is a picture of the benches I made. I customized 1 with mission style slats on the side. This could be addapted to have a back with little planning. Plan was taken from one of my woodworking mag's.

When you click the link you may need to look in the photo folder...

Here is a link that might be useful: My woodworking photos

• Railroader
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Poppy Luv6 Here is a link to some pictures that I think will show what I have in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pictures

• Poppy_luv
    19 years ago

Railroader,
    I am planning on building an Adirondack Chair (with ottoman) and a lounge chair similar to the one you have in your pics. The lounge actually has a little drawer that pulls out to place a drink on.
    I get my plans from American Woodworker, Wood, WoodSmith and Workbench mag's. Check their websites for back issues
    I just added the pick of the Adirondack to my photo folder
    There were many plans (I think 6 different) for the chair, this is the one I liked the most (Workbench)

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

• Leisu
    19 years ago

Railroader,
    The furniture that you have pictured, is very simple, why use/buy plans at all???
    start witht the easiest, which is the last picture of a lounger....
    the design is simple, two 2X4s on the sides, there would be one additional 2X4 ripped down the middle and used as a support for the slats... make your own heights, this is probably 6-8" off the ground, so that's your legs, it's probably notched out to fit the leg in and outdoor glue plus bolt, the width is your choice too, 30", length, lay down and figure by your own body... :)
    oooh, I found an online free plan almost identical,
    good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor lounge chair

• Poppy_luv
    19 years ago

Update:
    I built these 2 Adirondack chairs this weekend... aching for the good weather to come... Plan was fairly easy. It suggests making templates first (good idea to check and recheck when making templates, one mistake will be obvious when transferred to all chairs)
    >Poppy

Here is a link that might be useful: Adirondack Chairs

• thorspippi
    19 years ago

oh good job!

• eclecticme
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I just came across this post. I made some outdoor furniture using treated lumbar. This was my first every woodworking project...

I made 2 "sofas" and a 2 tables. Here they are:
    {{gwi:587}}

Here is a close up:

{{gwi:588}}

• NatalieWitt
    11 years ago

is this a bed or a chair? just curious about coz it looks like a couch for me..

• NatalieWitt
    11 years ago

I was thinking that that "chair" is pretty much awesome in my backyard...

• brucewayne1411
    10 years ago

I feel recycled material can be used to make the benches outside and then paint it to look beautiful.

Sponsored