Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor oven/bbq/firepit plans?

Posted by chops (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 05 at 15:34

I am putting the finishing touches on a circular patio, paved in old brick and would like to add some kind of outdoor fireplace or possibly an oven. The area isn't too big so any oven or bbq would have to be fairly small. If it wasn't possible to build an oven small enough to fit the space I would be happy just with a firepit of some sort. I'd like to get my hands on some plans or even just an informative website that could lay out the basic requirements for building one, preferably out of brick.

If anyone knows where such information exists please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor oven/bbq/firepit plans?

Kiko Denzer has written a beautiful book about building outdoor cob ovens (made from a combo of clay soil, sand, straw and water well mixed, often by bare feet) similar to the southwestern "horno" oven, woodfired, suitable for baking breads, pizzas, meat, vegetables, etc. If this idea is something you're interested in, his book is a fantastic resource. I haven't built one yet, but I have already made a miniature mock-up of a giant singing frog, whose open mouth will be the oven itself. I'm also hoping to use the cob material to make a low enclosure/sitting upon wall to encircle the fire pit area, but really have no idea if it will hold up. Wish me luck and good luck to you as well. lisa_devon

o
RE: Outdoor oven/bbq/firepit plans?

Thanks so much Lisa. Coincidentally, I'm interested in cob as an alternative building material used in conjunction with strawbale construction. I will be sure to look for Kiko's book at the library.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here