Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rock hound looking for basalt

Posted by Gardener_boy z10 sf CA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 05 at 1:04

The rock supply places all have these huge cool columns of basalt but they are all way too big for my use. I really just want bits and small columns to make mini landscapes in the trough gardens I design. Any suggestions on where to go in N. CA. or S. OR.? I am thinking that there must be an awful lot of small pieces left behind from where ever the large pieces are quarried from.
I never pay for the rocks I collect though and I can't start now.
Thanks, David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rock hound looking for basalt

David, have you thought about contacting a stone carver who works with basalt? It sounds like the pieces you're looking for would be fairly small.
Surely they would have some 'tailings' from large sculptures that they'd be willing to part with.

Here is a link that might be useful: some california stone artists

o

David find your nearest concrete batch plant.
They sell aggregates by the pound/ton from sand to 100 pound boulders and even bigger.
You can usually drive up to the boulder piles and handpick what you want and get them for pennies per pound.

I'm not a rock guy but I did this to get a pickup load of green rocks and it cost me $8 for 800 pounds.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 4:09

What about contacting a headstone carver and seeing if they have leftover small pieces they want to give away.

o

Lots of basalt lava flows in Oregon/Washington ....near the MacKenzie Pass area in Oregon....I am also including a link to some Google listings

Happy rocking

Vicki

Here is a link that might be useful: Basalt places in Oregon

o

Thanks for the info. Just knew someone would know where to snoop. GB

o

Hi, just peeking in here and saw this thread - if all else fails, come up to the Columbia River gorge on a field trip. We have nothing but basalt everywhere. Every size, color, shape you could ask for. And you get to visit the scenic Columbia River Gorge in the process.

o

David, Are the columns you refer to the hexagonal crystal shape? I saw an example of this feature at Devils's Postpile National Monument which is on the far side of Yosemite, south of Mono Lake. It may be protected from rock hounds, and I think the crystals may all form at a specific size, but it is a wonder to see!

Here is a link that might be useful: Devils Postpile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here