Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

How to hang garden plaques to vinyl siding?

natureperson
20 years ago

Is there a special type of hanger that can be used to hang plaques from vinyl siding without putting a hole in the siding? And how much weight will it hold?

Comments (30)

• goofyj
    20 years ago

Have you tried calling somebody that sells it? Maybe they have ideas. I've never dealt with it. sorry
    Joyce

• natureperson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

goofy, I haven't tried that but it might be worth a try.

vsea, why should I look at your website? Are you selling something?

• FlowerGardener
    19 years ago

Try the 3M removable hooks, my DIL uses them and they hold all season, they are the ones with the sticky tape and comes in lots of sizes.

• arcy_gw
    19 years ago

3M is the way to go!!!Commanddo strips they are called

• natureperson
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'll try them. Thanks a lot!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    19 years ago

Do you think those 3M hooks would work to attach stuff to vinyl fencing too? I have vinyl fencing and have always wanted to hang stuff on it, but didn't want to drill any holes.

It's probably worth a try!

• arcy_gw
    19 years ago

I am not sure the 3M stuff is rated for outside use. It will deffinitly stick to the fence but will it get UV and temp. issues? I did not think of these things when offering the 3M idea before. I know they work great inside the house. Stick to anything and hold anything. Let us know how it works out. We made a wreath for my sis ter a few years back and with her vinyl siding she has never hung it either. I wonder if a manyfacturer had a product.

• Applegate
    19 years ago

Would the 3M hooks be strong enough to hold a planter beneath an exterior window? How about a wrought iron sconce?

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

For heavy stuff like planter wouldnt' you have to drill and then caulk around the edges after attactching ermm screws or whatever you hang it on to?

• Auntie_Clara
    19 years ago

I am having the same problem too. I have vinyl siding also and I really want to hang some windchimes under the eves. Went to Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes and asked what I should do. No one would give me an answer. I looked at the 3M hooks, but the man at Walmart said they aren't rated for outdoors. What's a girl to do? Perhaps drill and use some galvanized hooks and/or bolts? The only problem is drilling could damage/crack the siding and I have a warranty and doing so could void it. Anyone else with siding have any success in hanging things without damage?

• arcy_gw
    19 years ago

We hung a hundred pound banner on newly painted walls using the 3M commando strips. They have them for heavier stuff, read labels...I am still wondering about outside use however. I have never read the label to see what they say about ouside.

• EarthtoMel
    19 years ago

Where do you get these?
    We had our house installed with vinyl siding and I really really miss my windchimes.
    I want to hang them, but like the others, I am afraid of cracking the siding.
    I cannot find this tape.
    Can you help?
    Thank you!
    Melanie

• GingerBlue
    19 years ago

RHall, that web page doesn't give any info about how to purchase these clips. If you are the seller, consider adding a shopping cart or auction link to your site. People like me HATE contacting and playing tag with someone just to get info like pricing and shipping. I might want to buy your clips, but I don't really want to mess with the hassle and so I move on....

• grdngurl
    19 years ago

greenhammer...if I wanted to take the hook off how would you disolve the silicone...I have been told nothing takes silicone off...if that is the case, then what is the difference in using a galvinized hook, screw, nail, etc. The silicone would have damaged the siding anyway.

• Havenewfs
    19 years ago

I am not sure this is in the right place since it's not a hanging plaque I was wondering about. I have wondered how you can put up window boxes when you have vinyl siding? Do you have to drill or can you do it another way?

• greenhummer
    19 years ago

Grdngurl, the silicon cannot be disolved. To remove it one simply uses a razor blade and it will come off easy with no damage. Sorry I missed the post for a while.

• jane__ny
    19 years ago

Guess I've been lucky. I've hammered nails into vinyl for 20 years with no problems. I have things hanging all around the house outside. I just hammered in long nails until I hit the wood.

• crazymama
    19 years ago

I just recieved The Winfield Collection pattern book and they have just what your looking for in their book.

• isabella__MA
    19 years ago

The means of attaching items to a vinly siding clad wall will depend upon the items weight.

If you have vinly siding then you undoubtedly also have vinly/plastic shutters. These were attached to the wall by my builder with screws drilled into the underlying plywood sheathing. At HD you can buy vinly fastners that allow more for expansison. I used these fastners to re-hang new vinly shutters and molding around my windows and window headers. I have also used these to install door entrance molding consisting of pilasters, capitals, and a peak pediment.

For window boxes the weight is much heavier, and most brackets are designed to lie on a flat surface - not the clap-board profile of vinly siding. To provide a flat surface and a structurally secure attachment for the brackets, I cut 2X4 notches in the vinly siding and nailed treated wood 2X4 peices directly to the plywood sheething (don't cut the vapor barrier). Then I installed J-channel around the wood mounting peice and the sides of the vinly siding. My window boxes have been up and secure and leakproof for the last 3 years. I also used this method to mount a flagpole to my house.

• mensev
    19 years ago

EZ way downspout clips can be purhased @ www.guttersdirect.com They are approx. $9.00/10 + ship

• michaelh223
    17 years ago

Here is what it says on the 3M site about outside use of the Command hooks:

Q: Can I use Command adhesive outside in cold climates?
    A: You can, but the adhesive should be applied to a clean, smooth, dry surface when the temperature is above 50°F (10°C). If the temperature is below 50°F you can heat the surface with a hair dryer before application.

Q: Can I use Command adhesive outside in hot climates?
    A: Extreme heat conditions and sunlight may cause the adhesive to eventually deteriorate, causing product failure. The adhesive could soften and lose adhesion above 105°F (40°C).

I'm going to give them a try.....

• Budbevjay_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

Good luck with 3m command strips outside. These are great indoors and I have used bunches of them without a problem. However I have a covered porch with no exposure to rain or direct sunlight and they fell off after a couple of weeks. Nothing heavy on them. I followed the prep instructions but no good. Maybe the summer heat in Georgia caused them to release.

• jewelz47
    10 years ago

This is a link to a site that explains how to do this and offers advice on what materials you need to hang items off vinyl siding...There are hooks specifically for this. Hope this helps those of you wondering, I was too, now I know...:)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Hang things off Vinyl siding.

• Poppa Dee
    8 years ago

There is a hook made for vinyl siding See picture.

• vandejul
    8 years ago

What about vertical siding?

• kimmygreenfinger
    7 years ago

Poppa Dee, those hooks don't work a lick. I just ordered from Amazon to hang up a light weight mirror on my vinyl and the hooks just slip right out. It can't hold anything over 5 lbs

• Jessica
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I use vinyl siding hooks, ordered on amazon and they work like a charm. Mine hold a 8 lb 3.5 foot metal B. I prefer the plastic over the metal.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

Just and FYI: Vinegar will dissolve silicone. I used silicone to "glue" pennies to a bowling ball..we made a fountain. I put a splash of vinegar in it occasionally to clean it-the silicone absolutely dissolves!! I lose a few pennies every time and the water can get murky and mucky at the bottom.

• HU-55170571
    4 years ago

I would suggest using just over the door wreath hangers. They work great!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County