Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westender_gw

source for decorative garden edging?

WestEnder
20 years ago

Does anyone know of a good online source for decorative garden edging? I don't want bamboo or wattle or plastic, but am interested in terracotta or metal or even concrete, something that will actually contain mulch or soil and that will stand up to weather. All I can find is European sources for large volume orders, or plastic molds to make my own concrete edgers.

I'm in Atlanta, so if anyone knows of a store in this area that sells them (for less than $30 a 1-foot section!) that would be great, too. The only ones I've seen so far were at Hill Street but they cost a fortune.

Help!

Comments (16)

• JohnEd
    20 years ago

History Stones website has some molds for making concrete edging. They work well.

• WestEnder
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, JohnEd. I was hoping to find edgers that are already made, but if anyone else is interested in molds, I did find, in addition to History Stones, a company at mudart.com that has a sunflower edger mold and a ladybug border mold that look very nice. They're sort of expensive ($30) but come in a set of 2 and are re-usable.

What I want is edgers that sit up on end and are 6 inches or more tall. I really like the antique terracotta edgers you sometimes see on European websites. In Europe they still sell edgers like that new, too, but only in bulk for landscaping. Why aren't these available in the U.S.? Or are they????

• Twinkle
    20 years ago

Lowe's has some that look like caterpillars, made of concrete, a couple of dollars per foot. They look like they are more than six inches tall, certainly tall enough to contain soil.

I have been searching for something nice-looking too. Please post here if you find anything!

• WestEnder
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Twinkle,
    Caterpillars sound sort of cute, and the price is right. Was that Lowe's in or around Atlanta? Are you in Atlanta? If so, would you be interested in sharing the cost of molds and splitting an order? The molds I like best are the two at http://mudart.com/gator2003.html. I dread having to do all the work of making them, but if I have to I guess I will.

also, look what they've got in England! I'd love to have some of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: English Garden Edgers

• bloominweeds
    20 years ago

Oh wow those are neat. There are the ones in HD, Lowes etc that are terra cotta color the length of a brick and half and scalloped on top. Ever seen those? Some were left here when we built the house.

• ianna
    20 years ago

Home Depot should be a good source.

• Twinkle
    20 years ago

Westender, yes, I am in Atlanta (north) and I have seen the "caterpillars" at different Lowes stores around Atlanta, specifically the Buford and John's Creek locations, but they should be available at others. These are not molds, but already-made (hooray!) landscape edgers. Unfortunately, there is not a picture on their website. They are not caterpillars exactly, but look like a bunch of cylinders lined up in a row. Does that make sense? Anyway, I think it's actually called caterpillar edging.

Those English edgers are beautiful. Why can't we get something like that here??? Pre-made, of course, and cheap cheep cheep.

• Redthistle
    20 years ago

I also think terracotta edging is absolutely beautiful and I also have looked high and low for it the U.S. (You'd think someone would catch on and reproduce it, hunh?) Anyway, I think I can help you. Try www.thymeontheterrace.com They are in the U.S. (Pennsylvania?) and have the real thing.

I ordered a chimney pot from them and four pieces of terracotta edging. Let me know what you think.

Good luck!

• Redthistle
    20 years ago

Forgot to mention that the edging is in the "Miscellaneous" section.--I just went to the web site to look.

• susiemw
    20 years ago

This may or may not be helpful....

I needed edging for a small raised garden..... was driving by one of the older malls in the area and they are tearing it down. Huge piles of used rebar and concrete and dirt.

The way it was laid out was easy to get to and not dangerous. I was able to get almost enough to do my small garden this evening. I will have to go back to get some more.

So, if they happen to be tearing down any old buildings you might want to swing by.

These chunks of concrete really look good they have small pieces of various colored stone in them.

Susan
    happy with the free edging!

• joycevallee
    20 years ago

It seems as if you are not interested in making them yourself which would drastically reduce the cost. However, you could always get someone like a student to do this for you.

There is tons of info on here about what you need to do the job. If you don't know you can ask and anyone will help you. You could buy the moulds and materials and supervise the work. That way you could get what you want and the student (or other) would benefit from getting paid and learning a good skill.

I agree that there aren't always times when it is convenient to do it yourself and you may not want to do it, just like I don't want to do everything. Some things appeal to me and others really don't. I hire certain people to do things and I don't feel guilty at all.

It would still give you some satisfaction though of having done your own thing. Just be sure to allow a little time for a learning curve if you are both new to it. It could be a rewarding experience for both of you.

Try some of your local discussion forums. I am not familiar with your area but as I am from a small fishing village in Canada but I imagine your city probably has every concievable teaching institute available. Contact them, maybe someone would do it for credit or experience in a certain course. You never know, it could open up a whole new world to you.

Cheers from the "Wet Coast of Canada, Vancouver Island"

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    20 years ago

I realize you are hoping for already completed edging, but just in case, Garden Molds has some beautiful edger molds. You can see them at the website below.

A 60 lb bad of concrete mix will make 3 molds. They also sell pigments for coloring the concrete. I have not ordered from them, but have used History Stone molds and it was a fairly simple process, taking about an hour start to finish.

Mabel

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenmolds website

• WestEnder
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oh, Mabel, THANK YOU! I love these molds. They are great enough to convince me it's worth making them myself. And thanks to everyone else for their encouragement and ideas. Please, everyone who is following this link, look at the Gardenmolds website above. It is fantastic! Maybe if we all start buying and making these, we'll begin a new trend in U.S. garden design, something a little more stylish.

• rip1129
    19 years ago

I use natural stone for my decorative edging to define the beds and hold in mulch. I buy from Luxury landscape yard supplies in Lawrenceville - they have plenty of stone to pick from and prices are very good - I buy their rubble strips and tumbled cobbles and place in a small bed of concrete to keep them in place. Works great and looks fabulous.

• Tiny_TimZ
    19 years ago

How do these mold work with concrete. They have used plaster paris, I believe it said on the ones shown. Would the concrete give as sharp a design to them?

If so I just might have to go into the concrete business and produce those for my area. Nothing at all like these anywhere near.

Let me know, and Thanks
    timothy

• WestEnder
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Tiny Tim,
    the molds on the gardenmold.com website are for use with concrete, and most of the directions on that website are for concrete. Have a look at that website, and if you decide to go into business, let me know what your shipping fees will be!

Sponsored