Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftycatcher

Brass Bed footboard

leftycatcher
18 years ago

Wondering if a brass bed head or footboard could be used as a structure/support in the perennial bed. I could think of lots of things to climb on it. Would it look okay? Should it be cleaned with a brass cleaner? What would keep it free-standing?

Comments (7)

• suzyqute
    18 years ago

I use a Metal Wire type Foot board in my perennials , it is installed with 2(two) 40" lengths of re-rod stuck into the ground approx 18 "deep at the desired width apart (to match the center distance between the footboards posts), then lower the bottom of open posts evenly onto the re-rod. Mine has been there for 2 years (all year around) with no problems. I had cardinal vine on it last year .It is very pretty when the vines are grown and pretty over the winter with snow on it also !
    SuzyQute

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

If you want the brass to stay shiny, it should be coated. Most beds are already coated, so don't take it off. If you want it to turn that greeny-bronze color, take off the coating. However, most of those beds aren't designed for outdoor use, so you may get some surface degradation over time.

Sue

• suzyqute
    18 years ago

many brass items are used outside, if you want it to be shiny maybe should polish, but how would you continue to do it if you have plants growing on it? just a thought , if you don't care if it developes patina - go for it !!
    SuzyQ

• leftycatcher
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the posts! I was given these brass head and foot boards from someone cleaning out their grandmother's house. The finish is very darkened, obviously not polished for years.

Wondered about leaving it alone (or even spray painting it black to match other rod iron climbing structures in the garden, but don't think I should do that to the brass!).

SusyQute - what is re-rod? And what have you done to the finish on yours...just allowed it to do its own natural thing, patina-wise?

• Woodsy
    18 years ago

Lefty,
    I think she meant rebar..metal rods used for reinforcing things like cement structures.
    I think your bed sounds great! I don't see why you couldn't paint it black to match your other items...but cleaning it and polishing it (steel wool and paint thinner maybe?) and putting a varnish or poly on it would make it "pop" and add sparkle to your garden..I think it would be a great compliment to your other black pieces.
    Woodsy

• leftycatcher
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Woodsy! Nice suggestions.

• suzyqute
    18 years ago

Yup,re-bar it is - Hmmm, brain fart? and yes I just left it to do its "thing". Sounds like yours has already aged, do you dislike its patina?
    I made a copper trellis, it was very shiny when I made it , but I wanted it aged,put it outside for past 2 months and it is slowly getting some nice patina ;) It looks older with some nice color to it !
    SuzyQ

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists