Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
costumecarol

constructing an obelisk

costumecarol
17 years ago

I have a couple rambling roses.

I have given up trying to keep trellises upright.

Has anyone here ever made an obelisk? DH thinks it could be made inexpensively out of copper pipe.

Comments (11)

• Diannadesigns gardens
    17 years ago

Copper pipe isn't all that inexpensive but it is strong and sturdy. You have to design well because you have to watch the corners as there are only certain angles available.
    My son made me 2 different ones from plans from birds and blooms which turned out great! They are made from wood but I only have Clematis on them. These were much cheaper to make.
    Good Luck!

• rain1950
    17 years ago

Another option is rebar. You can get it in precut lengths in the box stores or loner pieces at contractor supply

• ianna
    17 years ago

Instead of a trellis of this shape, I suggest using a thick post. It may be circular, or perhaps a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 lumber. Cap it with an interesting fence post or even a bird house. Add interesting wrought iron elements used for hanging plants. I did this with my own climbing rose and it looks excellent.

• costumecarol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm...still have some left over American Accents Copper and Verdegris...it made that stamped metal weathervane look lovely.

Casting about on the internet also turned up some beautiful designs for pressure treated wood with a purchased finial on top.

After several years of trying to make a regular trellis and an arbor/entryway stay square and upright, a stable pyramidal structure has appeal.

DH detests plumbing, but enjoys soldering copper, may have other ideas....

Thanks, all!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I thought I'd share a picture of what I made from copper. I just placed it in the garden the other day. I don't know exactly, but it probably cost around $70 to make including the finial. I bought the fittings when our local home improvement store had a special where you got 17% off anything that could fit in their bag. Too bad the pipes didn't fit in. I made this because this seemed like something I could do myself. It was fairly easy. Bending the top pipes was the most challenging.

{{gwi:1220}}

• suzyqute
    17 years ago

Michelle that is a wonderful copper obelisk you made!I am impressed , Did you design it ?
    Congrats on the beauty !
    SuzyQ

• Diannadesigns gardens
    17 years ago

Birds and Blooms magazine has some nice plans for pressure treated lumber. My son and I made one of their obelisks. It turned out really nice and it was very easy to make!
    Check them out!

• almendra
    17 years ago

zgardennut,

what date was the magazine?

thanks,
    almendra

• mmfine71
    17 years ago

I have made a few things from metal and use a pipe bending tool called a conduit bender in 3/4" or 1/2". You can bend multiple pieces of pipe and get the same shape or curve every time.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Michelle, that is gorgeous

Sponsored