Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to sink post in water for Dock /Boardwalk

Posted by Poppy_luv 5-6 -Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 13:28

I have a pond that seperates a portion of my property and I would like to build a boadwalk across to the other side, problem is I need to span about 40'. Anyone have ideas for creating a stable structure when you cant even see bottom? I dont think its a deep pond (vernal) but I am sure its muck underneath.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to sink post in water for Dock /Boardwalk

I know a guy who build a floating dock from wood and underneath were 5 gallon buckets upsidedown with the lids sealed on to keep them full of air.
He built the dock floor upside down like a shallow box, the buckets were screwed on throught the bottom into the underside of the floor and sealed with silicone. Lids sealed on and then he just flipped it over into the water.
It's pretty stable.

o

We have a raft made with barrels to hold it up---have seen the same thing done on rivers where the piers have to go up and down when the river rises and falls.

o

Hi Poppy_luv,

I work for a marine construction company and a better suggestion for your walkway besides the 5-gal buckets, would be floats. They are plastic and can be about 3' - 4' wide and about 5' - 6' long. They attach under the decking that you build. They would be more stable I think to walk on. Or is you want to sink a post (piling) you can jet it thru the muck with water (hose attached to a rod). Hope this gives you some ideas.
Donna in Jacksonville

o

dock blocks are cool but the pails are free.:)
I would use the blocks as well if money is no object.
Her bridge/floating walk is 40 feet long.
3 18 foot treated 2x6s (2x8s would be better) would create a ridgid rail on each side. If the deck was nailed to that, maybe 4 ft wide treated 2x6.
You would only need two posts one on each side in the middle of the pond.
Heavy cement on top of a steel car rim should work with the posts attached.
Leave the posts long so if the footings settle you can use a come-a-long to jack the walk up the post and refasten.
Using cement footing on each end keeping this walk above water should be no problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here