Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Wooden Planter Boxes

Posted by FirstPlanIt (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 05 at 13:54

Would like to paint my redwood cedar planter boxes black. I am guessing they need to be sealed on the inside to prevent the paint from blistering on the outside due to water moving through the wood. Is this true, what products should I use? Has anybody successfully painted wood containers that have lasted more that a couple of years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Wooden Planter Boxes

To clarify: Do you mean the Cedar boxes were painted with a Redwood stain?

Asking cause our fence put up two years ago was a choice of cedar or redwood...looked like redwood and that is what the paperwork said....we sealed ours with Kilz and then painted to match the rest of the fence around the house. We had gone half with the neighbor and they were made that the wood was warping...saying we watered too much. Of course they did not paint their side.

Now we are replacing the back fence and the man giving estimates said the fence was not cedar or redwood, but a softwood painted to look like redwood.

o

No the cedar is raw at the moment. And it is real cedar. I live in an area where we grow it here. It is tongue and groove, smooth 1 side, rough the other. There is nothing on it yet. Your posting brings up an interesting point. I will more than likely have to paint both sides, as warping will probably occur with only one side painted.

o

• Posted by Monte 6-NE NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, May 19, 05 at 9:55

I would suggest that instead of painting you should get a penetrating oil stain. They can be mixed in many colors including black. Good quality stain will not peel and will also protect the wood from UV damage

Any Home Depot/Lowes will have fence and deck stain that will work fine for this. You may even find an "oops" can for a few dollars and have them add in some more black pigment if it is not a color you like.

o

A number of years ago we built some cedar planter boxes and I used Olympic opaque oil stain inside and out. The stain never blistered or peeled and outlasted the wood, which finally rotted out. They don't make stain as well now, but it still holds up better than any paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here