Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap and Elegant Fountain

Posted by lsimms 6a-6bMA (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 16:07

I made this fountain years ago and just fired it up again today. Still think it's great. Good waterflow, not a trickling one.

Here's how to make it..

Kinda requires these components because they separate..urn from base...and they're drillable plastic.

Still available...

Buy 1:
Big Plastic Urn

Buy 2: Smaller urns Think they're 12 in.

Separate the second small urn (bowl) from its base. Turn it over to create height for the urn on top. Attach the 1st urn base to the upturned bowl. Drill holes for the fountain hoses...one for the up hose (1/2") thru the upended bowl and the urn above and a big one at the bottom of the upturned bowl for the electical cord.

I made this fountain in about half an hour. I have no problem that the materials are less than elegant...the result is great.

This is a babbling brook fountain. I've addd big stones to the top urn so the birds can bathe...they gave me the idea. Were trying to get in there,but no foothold. So this is my fancy birdbath now.

Hope you like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty little fountain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap and Elegant Fountain

Like it very much. My only fountain is at ground level. I would love another higher one so my drat cat wouldn't interfere with the birds bathing. Thanks for sharing.

o

One of the nice things about this fountain is that, because the elements are not fixed to each other, you can make sure the fountain flows perfectly. I just took a pic of my garden and noticed that the base is rather tilted...and yet I've got perfect flow out of the top simply by adjusting the "floating" upper elements.

In any event, this design is a good one. You can make it out of other more refined materials if you can find similar large/small forms. I've been looking for years to upgrade this one, but haven't found the right stuff.

Good luck and enjoy. Thanks

o

Very nice! Folks on the Garden Junk web site would love to see it. Some probably have those urns in their sheds or garages! TFS Jan

o

This is definitely a garden junk fountain! I'll post it again. Thanks.

o

Ingenious!!! Love it!

o

Would love to see the pic again. Sounds great.
The link doesn't have the pics anymore
Thanks

o

I want to see it too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here