Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lrobins_gw

Source for good quality, practical edging to encircle shrub

lrobins
18 years ago

Hello,

I recently planted three shrubs (Corylus americana, or American hazelnut) in a buffer area between my townhouse row and a public park. The shrubs are located just next to a "privacy screen" of white pine trees. The homeowners association sends massive lawnmowers to mow the strip of grass between the pine trees and the townhouse row. I would hope that the lawnmowers avoid any collision with my new shrubs, but will feel more confident after installing some good edging around the shrubs.

The edging must be formable into a circle (flexible, in small sections, or both). Should be wood or metal, not the cheap black plastic edging that all the discount stores carry. Please suggest mail-order sources.

I found some cedar edging in Lowes that is almost but not quite what I want. The cedar edging comes in sections of seven pieces, held together by a plastic tape strip and staples. Only the outer two wooden pieces (out of seven) are sharpened at the bottom to allow driving into the ground. I would be satisfied with this type of edging if every piece was sharpened at the bottom and could be driven like a stake (7/7 rather than 2/7).

Comments (3)

• davek913
    18 years ago

I've seen that edging and used a similiar sort of dog eared cedar edging in the past. One thing to watch out for with them is, those staples don't always hold very well. I ended up discarding them after around a year because I was sick of stapling them back onto the plastic. If you did get them, I would reinforce them a little, either with longer staples, or even screws. You can make your own stakes with some thin strips of wood and fasten them yourself. That's what I did, using the wood from some old lattice. I cut several pieces around 4 inches long, cut a point on the end, and fastened them on with some screws.

I've used cedar lumber and landscape timbers for shrub and tree borders and rings, cutting the pieces with a miter saw to form octagons or other multiple sided forms. One $4 piece of cedar made a border around 3 feet across.

We used to have the black plastic "choppers" with a curved top, and while they weren't what you call fantastic to look at as a main edge in our front yard where our foundation plantings are, they were actually pretty sturdy. I planted some shrubs in back and used them as a border after priming and painting them, and they actually look pretty nice. It helps that you're not looking at a continuous 25 foot strip of them.:-)I have touched up the paint a couple of times because we have some critters that like to scratch on them.

If practical is a concern, that does narrow your options. I've seen places that sell strips of fiberglass and steel for edging, and they aren't terribly cheap. Not much to look at either, at least in my opinion.

One other possibility that I've never used personally would be the brick sized pavers. A woman up the street used them for edgers, placing them half in the ground diagonally, then piggy backing them. It looks nice, sort of like a crown, but it would probably be more involved. At least the initial layout part would be, making sure you have the right number for your circle, laying them out around your shrub, etc. I imagine after a fella did one it would get easier.

• tufaenough
    18 years ago

Did you consider making it from hypertufa or concrete.
    Make your edging blocks in a mold with rebar protruding that can be pushed into the ground.
    You can shape the tufa before it fully cures and even add pigment colors to get a border is the color you would like.

Or use concrete patio stones. The 12 inch round ones buried half way on edge look very nice. Durable and inexpensive. these can also be stained almost any color.

• TwoMonths
    18 years ago

Inexpensive always last a short time, no matter what kind. But if you get the curved terracotta colored ones with the scollops at the top they should work a good many years.

They are put into the ground a bit and if the mowers do happen go budge one a bit, they go right back in. My daughter has used them a good bit.

I have even seen some on GJ site that someone did a mosaic on...too much work for me tho.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus