Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightnurse1968

Tipped pots with plants Spilling out

I have a couple of fairly large ceramic pots that I want to put on their side, sink, then have plants "spilling" out. I would love to see some pictures of something similar any of you have done, or at least get some suggestions for plants that are well suited for this. Thanks!

Comments (20)

• karen64
    18 years ago

I saw this done down the shore with annuals, I loved the way it looked! The same person had their azalea shrub shaped like a heart, which you would not notice until it bloomed. I did notice they had the spilling affect on a slight slope to get a good affect. The azalea was cut at a sloping down angle on top, so that you could notice it from afar. Have fun! karen

• tammyinwv
    18 years ago

HGTV " Rebecca's Garden" has shown this 2-3 times.I couldnt find it on the site tho.I think she used impatients but not sure. You might contact them to help you find it.Her's was small though.She used 3 pots the largest about a 10"-12" pot.
    Tammy

• kerrick
    18 years ago

A lady down the street did it one year. She used a wooden planter (octagonal shape) and had pink petunias spilling out. I think the first choise is to decide on your look. The one Tammy was talking about on Rebecca's Garden is nice, actually puts all of the soil in the planters and plants on all but one side and then tips the planter over.

The lady on my street just turned her planter on the side, buried a portion of it with potting soil and then planted in there and then in th front of the pot also.

It looks great, either way.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    18 years ago

What do you think is the best shape or characteristic for a tipped over pot?

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

You put it in its permanent location (i.e. you can't move it after this).... You prepare some soil (work in fertilizer etc.) (get rid of weeds) like you would a bed. prepare probably a small spot corresponding to size of pot.... or lay down pot and trace out on ground (with rocks not pencil obviously :) ) area you want or think plants should spill.... Then take your pot.... lie it down (how you want) and fill with some soil. Make a mound of soil in the pot and "anchor" if you like with some rocks behind it. Plant the plants (or seeds) in the soil in the pot and the soil on the ground. When plants grow they will look as if they have "spilled" out of the pot :) Frankie I think any shape you like would be fine. A shape that is simpler (i.e. circle or square) is probably to something odd shapedx like a strawberry pot. :)

• ianna
    18 years ago

Lots.

Cascading rosemary
    Creeping Jenny (the chartreus colour)
    strawberries
    dead man's nettle.
    coral bells
    Wild Thyme
    Grasses such as hakonekloa (spelling?)

Flowers such as: blue salvias, geraniums, wax begonnias, etc..

Succulents such as hens and chicks, and sedums of numerous kinds.

Annuals such as sweet potato vines, licorice, coleus (cascading types), begonnias,ivy, lantanna,

And more.....

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    18 years ago

Check out this posting on the Garden Junk website. It's about the third photo down. It's a really nice "broken pot" garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Broken Pot

• SherCA
    18 years ago

I am in the process of completely changing my backyard. I plan to do a tipped over pot. I plan to add to it though . . .a small pot person straddling the pot, so it looks like a child that just turned it over. Hopefully my idea will work in real life, not just in my head LOL.

Sher

• fgirl21
    18 years ago

I have a "broken pot" planting sort of like ruins. It's on a small strip of dirt near a hot asphalt sidewalk. The pot was a terracotta with a sort of aztecy design... I planted portulca

• Georgia_Ladybug
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1572}}

This has filled out now and is very pretty. It is just on the ground not buried. Probably would have looked better if I had buried it.

• gardenbrat53
    18 years ago

Here's mine filled with begonias.
    {{gwi:1574}}

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is just beautiful gardenjunk. I love the color contrast. Here is a pic of what I ended up doing.

{{gwi:1576}}

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here they are filled out now (along with everything else!)
    Can you tell the bed is less than a year old?

{{gwi:1578}}

• ruthnc_2006
    18 years ago

Hi all...Newbie here, but would like to compliment you on your pictures of your 'Spilled Pots'.

Below is mine but it doesn't look nearly as good/pretty as your pictures showing yours. AndImoved this last year when I was adding on/working on my yard. Thanks for sharing. Glad to see I'm not the only one that does 'odd things'...

Here is a link that might be useful: Spilled Pot

• ruthnc_2006
    17 years ago

All pages that I have previously left links to are NOW being monitored with Security measures in place. Anyone visiting my pages, please be aware of these Security measures. Ruth

• bailey_09
    17 years ago

Ruth, please explain what you mean by "security measures" and why you have found them necessary. And what is the information in you last posting - it looks like you are collecting information "cookies" from anyone visiting your web site - is that correct?

• ruthnc_2006
    17 years ago

I'm sorry that I cannot explain in this short of a space. Eventually all page links that I have left on GardenWeb will be 'un'-linked but right now I am getting a LOT of moral SUPPORT (people are logging on from all over the country (and even the world (England, France, Canada etc.)) and I want to see this support as it comes in. Many are from newspapers, media, others (occupations not named here) and THOSE are being eliminated before putting into public domain on my sites. I won't be able to post here regarding Gardening etc., and that is a shame because I do love to communicate with fellow gardeners and exchange gardening information, ideas and pictures but unfortunately I won't be able to do that because eventually she/they will just cause all of us (myself and anyone that talks to me) a LOT of problems. It just isn't worth it. Until this is resolved I do not have any choice except to JUST NOT POST here. I wish all of you HAPPY GARDENS!!! - Ruth

• neesie
    17 years ago

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what Ruth meant about her popular links and security measures (sad face). But just wanted to wish everyone luck with planting their own tipped pots next spring. They sure are eye-catching!

• chickencollecter
    17 years ago

I love the spilled pots! Any kind of pot, anywhere in the garden. Simply one of my favorite things.

Be Safe, Rach

• ruthnc_2006
    16 years ago

Because of ongoing HARASSMENT, all pages that I have previously left links to, have been removed from GardenWeb access.

I am now a activist for STOPPING Internet Harassment!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Harassment Link page/site

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living