Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulinep_gw

Faux Brick Patio

paulinep
18 years ago

I have a very large concrete aggregate patio and have wished we had sprung for the $$ to do brick like we did on our front porch. Sooooo with a little paint and backbreaking work, I have painted bricks on my patio. Just finished the under roof portion today. I am going to paint a faux brick inset under our umbrella table and chairs. Everyone who has seen it thinks it is really brick at first glance. I was afraid of tackling this project since I hate fakey looking stuff, but I can live with this.

{{gwi:1651}}
{{gwi:1652}}
{{gwi:1654}}

Comments (13)

• anjabee
    18 years ago

Wow! That looks great! Do you want to come do mine???? :) ~Anj.

• bigack
    18 years ago

That's beautiful, what materials and steps did you use, if I may ask??

• mspam
    18 years ago

Paulinep,
    Nice work! Please share your method/materials.
    Pam

• paulinep
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Masking tape for major grids (blocks of two bricks), bought sponge replacement that fits on long handled floor mop. Perfect width and just cut about an inch off of the length. Also bought a wallpaper sponge, the half round ones that are pretty near perfect size of brick, only I used this sponge for second step. This sponge might work as the initial stamper but I preferred the coarser holes in the other one first.
    From the first sponge, I nipped the corners and made the edges a bit uneven. After masking off the area grid, had the following acrylic paint: terra cotta (very orangy), and then using my craft paints, black, white and red. Had a gallon of the terra cotta, so worked out of the can. Large plate, squirt black red and white puddles. With a 2" paint brush patted the paint on damp sponge, first terra cotta, then patted on sploches of black, tiny bit of red and tiny bit of white. Then stamped the bricks, then used the wallpaper sponge to swipe through the first stamped paint, then overstamped with black if I wanted it to look darker. The key is the concrete has never been sealed, it is aggregate so very bumpy. Concrete took paint nicely showing some texture throught the paint. That's about it. I have two gallons of epoxy one step garage and patio floor (clear) acrylic with which I will seal the top when done. Should work well.
    Pauline

• use2bcapecodr
    18 years ago

Very nice work!

~Sandy~

• paulinep
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sandy, I used to be from Cape Cod too. (Actually the gateway to the cape---New Bedford) But I love it here in Wilmington, NC. It will be a race to finish the project though since it is getting so hot here now, will be in the 90's today.
    Pauline

• mspam
    18 years ago

Pauline,
    Thanks for sharing your method -- brilliant! I love the idea of the sponge mop.
    Pam

• Sandi_W
    18 years ago

Pauline, Your "bricks" look great. Very nice job. And great courage to give it a try.

Sandi

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

Inspirational!

Rose

• con22jovi
    18 years ago

Oh My Gosh!! I'll say it looks real. I had to keep going back and forth to believe that it wasn't. Great job. Please keep us updated as you go along. I would never have thought to do that. Thanks also for the instructions. Conni

• paulinep
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Conni, thanks, this is one of those projects that turns out better than you had hoped. (not all of them end up there, of course). If you want to see what the floor looked like before, here are my album sites:

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden & other stuff

• Gozalda
    18 years ago

Pauline - you said you have concrete aggregate but I can barely see the aggregate. Do you have an exposed aggregate concrete patio that you covered with painted bricks? I have an exposed patio that I would like to do your treatment to. But I didn't think it would work with my exposed aggregate. Great job!

• paulinep
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gozalda, didn't realize the link on the email to me sent me to the other posting. Anyway, now that I have found this one, check out my photobucket site again. I just posted two closeups of the type exposed aggregate I have. There are even some shark teeth in the aggregate mix so my DH says. Thanks for your kind words.
    Pauline