Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_bochonko

Need ideas for hose guides

Kathy Bochonko
18 years ago

Does anyone have any clever ideas for making hose guides? I need to make quite a few and would love something clever. Some of them will be along a woodland path that leads to my daughter's playhouse. I would love to hear what other's have done.

(I posted this in Garden Junk too)

Comments (23)

• User
    18 years ago

Mine come from Walmart and look like antique acorns. So my suggestions are just my imagination, not personal experience.

I'm thinking you need something cylindrical with a metal rod in it. How about small secions of tree trunks (3-4" diameter)? Or fill a soup can or tennis ball with cement, insert the rod and once released, mosaic the outside?

Garden Junk will come up with tons more ideas for you.

• harcourt
    18 years ago

4" PVC drain pipe has a sturdy wall thickness 1/4"?, and is inexpensive. You can get creative with the spherical cap ends. Drill a hole thru the top and mount finials. Paint them with the new plastic formulated sprays available.

• bambooo
    18 years ago

I use giant staples made from broken spading forks.

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

Pound a piece of rebar into the ground and drop a somewhat taller piece of PVC pipe over it, or a section of bamboo. Decorate the top with anything you like.

Sue

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

I am a sculptor working in clay. My hose guides are made of clay in a variety of shapes and glazes. They are fun and compliment my various garden sculptures.

Pauline

• robolink
    18 years ago

In a book I recently read, (sorry, can't remember the title) the author suggested two 6-8" terra cotta flower pots turned bottom to bottom with a metal rod pushed into the ground through the drainage holes.

I've tried it, and it does work, but for a more permanent solution, I would adhere the pots together.

They look nice too!

• LinLee
    18 years ago

I sink copper pipes and tap on a copper cap. They almost
    dissapear with age...the patina turns brown/green.

• gimpytwice
    18 years ago

My husband and I used old weights that came out of old windows,you know the ones that were on ropes that held the window up when lifted.They have holes in the tops so you could run rope chain etc. thru if you like.Ours are all banged up and rusty and look like they have been in the yard forever.
    Sharyl

• Spy_RI
    18 years ago

LinLee, I have seen those in magazines and thought they look BEAUTIFUL! I was wondering though, does the copper and verdigris affect the soil and the plants so that you'd notice? Are your plants right near them doing fine? I'd love to try that but when I priced it out at Home Despot it was expensive enough (for me ;>) that I want to be sure that it's the 'big buy' of the season and that I won't regret it!

• LinLee
    18 years ago

Spy RI,
    I only have a few spaced at strategic points so I don't decapitate any innocent plants.
    Since copper can be an environmental problem I probably wouldn't use it to stake the
    tomatoes. They're placed on the very fringes and corners of the garden beds and
    I've seen no ill effects within the past 6 years.
    LinLee

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LinLee,

Are you talking about the copper plumbing pipe? I had that at my old house and found the hose often slipped up over the top.

• LinLee
    18 years ago

Yes...regular 1" copper plumbing pipe with cap. I cut it into 2' lengths and sink
    about 1'. It sets up higher than
    the "real" hose guides, but it blends right in.

• eltigre
    18 years ago

LinLee ... that is a great idea. Thanks!

• Daisy7
    18 years ago

I buy old fireplace tools, cut the shovels, etc off or most of them just screw of. Instant hose guides. And you already have a neat final on top.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

I was just thinking what am I going to do for hose guides when the thread came up on GJ an dsomeone linked here. Don't you know we have a pile of sash weights in the cellar! Can't wait to try them out. Thanks Gimpytwiced!
    I like the other ideas here and at GJ too, but its hard to beat free and available.
    kathy

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    14 years ago

I am trying rebar with tops and will let you know how it turns out. I found several wooden tool handles for cheap at a garage sale, and have bought 2 ft rebar in size that fits snugly into the hole in the tool handle (which I painted a dark green).

I have also considered buying old tools, old crowbars, etc but have not found cheap enough. The trick in my yard seems to be getting something I can sink deep enough---into the rocky clay layer beneath the good soil--so they won't bend over when hose drags--and still have enough height for hose which may ride up a bit--which is why I am trying the 2-ft rebar. I plan to use some epoxy, but am still afraid the "tops" will pop off the rebar if the hose rides up.

• yacheryl
    14 years ago

I made these 4-5 years ago and they work great for me.
    I was always running the hose through this flower bed
    trying to water the side of the house.
    I took an old 4x4 post.
    Cut it into 4 pieces - each 2 foot long.
    Burried 1/2 down in the ground.
    Bought 4 squirrels down at the Family Dollar Store
    and set them on top.
    To keep the squirrel on top, I took large finish nail hammered it into the post
    and drilled a small hole into the bottom of the squirrel.

I seen the other day they has cardinals,
    dogs snail and squirrels.
    ...........cheryl

{{gwi:1700}}

Here is a link that might be useful: hose guides

• violet_sky
    14 years ago

I think an old glass door knob would make a wonderful finial on top of one of those posts. Not sure how you'd attach it (which makes my comment nearly useless - lol) but still it'd be pretty. =)

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

So cute cheryl! And violet I like your idea too, I'm sure where there's a will there's a way!
    kathy

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I use rocks, but Cheryl I love your hose guides.

• edwena0316
    14 years ago

for the Door knobs- great idea by the way- I just bought one of those double ended screws, the ones used in the decorative ceiling hooks at my local ace the other day, they come in different sizes you could take the knob in and try it out for size- one end is blunt the other end is a self tapping screw. Clear as mud?

• countrylegal
    11 years ago

I used an old metal curtain rod that I had planned on getting rid of. Realized before I did that If I took the rod apart I could drive it into the ground for a hose guard. Mine was a small rod but on a larger one you could cut off the excess. I loved the decorative finial and I just spray painted to make it colorful.

• 1wanderer
    11 years ago

This is made from old balustrade that I picked up for about 50 cents. Drill a bole in the bottom and bang in a bit of rebar. Bit of paint and something interesting on top an voila!
    I have another one I've done recently but can't find the photo

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH