Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
would like to paint new concrete bird bath

Posted by katnip_ct z6 CT (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 04 at 6:37

After going through a number of tag sale, flea market and cheap store bird baths, I finally invested in a solid concrete one.The plain concrete however, looks pretty drab.
I would like to paint and or stencil something on it, but what type of paint should be used. Can you get away with latex? Should you leave the inside untouched to avoid poisoning the birds?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: would like to paint new concrete bird bath

Patio paints

o

I agree with bloominweeds, use patio paints, and then seal. You can also use concrete stains also depending on the look you want. Cindy

o

Type in smith paints, go to their web site they have paint, dye and stain all are weather resistant and uv stable.
Rene...............

o

• Posted by Pesky1 7, Pacific NW (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 15:54

My DH makes concrete birdbaths for a living, and I often paint them with great success using ANY kind of paint. Spray paint is usually the most cost effective, and provides a good base coat. I use acrylic paints that can be found in craft stores for accents or highlighting. I also use clear spray paint to seal the paint.

Hint...make sure the birdbath is very dry before painting. First wash it down, then let it dry. If it's raw concrete, there will be lime leaching and some manufacturers already paint the piece with a mixture of paint and cement to cover any pin holes or patch marks.

You don't need to primer the piece...concrete is the easiest medium to paint on. Let the paint dry very well between coats, then apply at least 4 coats of clear spray paint as the sealer, particularly in the bowl.

Most spray paints today are non-toxic. They're not going to leach anything bad. Frankly, in my opinion, I've seen birds bathing in puddles on the street that have a shimmer of motor oil in them. I've never seen any adverse reactions to the spray paint I use.

Most commercial manufacturers use these same types of materials to paint their pieces. Patio paint is expensive and you will need a lot. Krylon or other premium spray paints are recommended. Don't use ANYTHING that is petroleum or oil based! (Like Thompsons Water Seal).

o

I'm using swimming pool paint on my concrete bird bath! I know that will hold up to being underwater!

o

i want to paint the inside of my concrete birdbath an aqua color need some recommendations

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here