Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flying Monkeys

Posted by lamalu 6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 11:41

I've seen posts for tin men, yellow brick roads and scarecrows. Has anyone made flying monkeys for their garden? I have stone walls around my back yard that beg for some kind of ornamentation. Flying monkeys [preferably with glowing red eyes] would be just the ticket. It makes me laugh just to think of it [of course the knowledge that the neighbors would hate it makes it even more tempting].
What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flying Monkeys

I think its a great idea! Seems like you could make monkeys out of clay pots or tin cans. Then red marbles for eyes, could be over a lighted hole for the glow if made from cans. If you do it, remember to post pictures, I'm usually over at garden junk, but I'll come back to look for flying monkeys! kathy

o

Whatever floats your boat! I discovered a number of years ago that the black landscape weed fabric that has one side that looks like black suede can be run through a sewing machine easily. Suggest you use this and an easily available monkey pattern which can be enlarged at Kinko's and figure out how to add wings using the same material. Stitch up your monkey on the machine. Use a permanent glue to stick the seams together over the stitching. Stuff with polyfil firmly. I leave you to figure out the red eyes. Forms made this way will last for years in the weather. Also, if dry moss is stuffed in with the filling and the form is in the shade, moss will begin to grow over time on the outside, if desired.

Many years ago I made a 'teddy bear picnic' using this method. Papa bear was about 4' tall. When we sold that house the purchase offer specifically stated that all landscaping was to remain in tact including the bears. They sold the house. I am a retired designer and put that display together as a funky surprise to be discovered in a useless shady spot. Fun! Some may want to use this method to make large mossy cones/balls to create focal points in shady areas. Just be certain to add bricks on bottom inside to weight them down.

o

Fabric! Interesting! I was considering either wood or metal for the monkeys and haven't really gotten past the concept stage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here