Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowerdownunder

What is the best cement mix to make concrete statues etc

sunflowerdownunder
19 years ago

I am after the best way to mix cement for garden ornaments. I have heard marble chip is good. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Comments (14)

• swaschull
    19 years ago

I have never used marble chip. Iuse sand mix for stepping stones, leaf casting etc. In my experience the SAK-crete products are 1000% better than the QUICK-crete products.

stefanie

• UllisGarden
    19 years ago

Quick crete vinyl patch

• goodearth
    19 years ago

Infinity, I love your hubby's work especially the stone arch and the "eye of truth" Can you tell us what is the scale of these 2 items (they look quite large to me) and what technique he used to age his creations , they look centuries old.
    Catherine

• Infinity
    19 years ago

Goodearth: Thank you..we really have fun dreaming up things to create. Eye's of Truth was our first try..My idea and Husband built it. It has since fallen and broken apart. Need to redo her. More detail this time. Not sure what knocked her over...large animal maybe. She was very heavy. Size is life size. 6' on the statues.

As far as how we got them to look old..we stained them with oil stain..walnut. Then I used just acrylic paint to give it a moss effect. It stays on the oil stain believe it our not. Fades with age. All of these thing have been out there since 98-99 best I remember.

• ornamentlady
    19 years ago

Infinity....Loved the Eyes of truth statue, looks so haunting and your gardens are so lush and green. The finish on the statue was also very nice and fitting for the garden setting. If you molded this by hand you did an excellent job. I do ornamental concrete and have seen a lot of different pieces but but not often one that created such a feeling as that statue in the garden.

• sunflowerdownunder
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I am totally inspired. Very Beautiful.

• Infinity
    19 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments on my Eye's of Truth and Garden. We will be redoing The Eye's of Truth soon. She is from my original oil painting.
    The Mouth of Truth was inspired from the one in Rome and the other statues were inspired from a Salvador Dali painting.

They are all done by hand. Lots of work but so wonderful when it gets done. We get better with each piece so just go for it and put your ideas together.
    Post photo's I'd Love to see your work too.

• verm_lady
    19 years ago

Infinity,I'm new at this sight and love your statues,especially Eye's of Truth.I have been wondering for some time how to make statues.Do you have a form or what?Hope you don't mind sharing your knowledge.I would love to make some different things for my own gardens.Hope to hear from you.Linda Sue

• springflowernc
    16 years ago

I too am looking for information on what concrete to use, I need info for stepping stones. Can anyone give me tips. Waiting on my mold now. Can't wait to get started. Thank you for your help. Tina

• debby_1
    16 years ago

Go to the link included and look under Manuals. Instruction from start to finish are there. The stepping stones come out looking very nice using the mix listed there.
    Debby

Here is a link that might be useful: Siliconfolly

• coastal_concepts
    13 years ago

I had the very same question about what kind of concrete to use for garden statues, and artificial rocks in particular, about 7 years ago. I ended up writing a tutorial about what I learned - basically the most useful DIY concrete mixes and a little bit of background information on concrete mixing, aggregates, lightweight vs strength etc. I turned the tutorial into a website so you can check it out if you are interested.

I hope you find this information helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Mix Concrete

• HU-570649160
    3 years ago

I need to know the best cement to make garden statues but i want it to a smooth finish thank

• Infinity
    3 years ago

We used Quikrete mortar mix.

Statues are over 40 yrs. Old and still look good. If you want a real smooth finish...you can wet sand it after it dries an get a fine stone like finish. We also stained ours with Minwax oil stain about every 10 years.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler