Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanting unpainted butterflies and flowers

Posted by trh701 z4sd (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 05 at 12:05

I want to decorate my garden fence with butterflies and flowers. Am looking for unpainted metal shapes (for me to paint). And, of course, I am looking for very inexpensive sources. Anyone know of any places on the Web to find these? I guess they wouldn't have to be metal either, just something that can take the outdoors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanting unpainted butterflies and flowers

Don't know if you have a dollar store in your area but the one near me had wire butterflies on stakes for your garden. BUT this was in the Spring. Why not make some yourself out of coat hangers? Billie

o

How about buying sheets of tin or alluminum and cutting them yourself that you can then paint? You can get sheets of tin and alluminum at a hardware store.

o

Here are four ideas
1. Bend thick wire into the shape of butterflies then solder wire mesh or window screen netting to the wire form. Decorate the butterflies with spray paint and glue flat marbles to define the head, abdomen and the thorax. Here is a good picture of butterflies: http://www.partylights.com/products/upscale/288MB.html
2. After the thick wire is bent into the form of a butterfly, thread beads onto thin florist wire then wrap the beaded wire around the butterfly armature.
3. Bend copper wire into the shape of a butterfly to make a Dream catcher like the one pictured here: http://www.the7thfire.com/dream_catchers/butterfly_dream_catchers.htm
4. Make faux stained glass butterflies with platic pop bottles:
http://www.yesnet.yk.ca/schools/jackhulland/projects/butterflies/activities/artlesson/01.html

o

I made some many years ago from those woven type placemats.Still have one hanging in my sewing room.
To make one you need 2 placemats,take one and fold it in 1/2 lengthwise,take the 2nd and fold it in half crosswise(the shorter way).Put the smallest on the bottom and stack the longest on top.Use a chenille stem to hold together in the center,leaving the 2 ends of the stem sticking out at the top for the antennae.Cover the chenille stem using a hot glue gun and silk flower heads.Glue on a pop top ring from a soda can.Hang and enjoy.
kathi

o

Since you probably want some with definition, try using a pattern to mark on an aluminun can...cut it out and bend and paint. You can use flat beads to define parts of it. Or even buttons. The hardware stores have different weight squares of roof flashing that is about 16 cents.

o

I purchased some great ones recently and use them on my trellises. Try www.kingmetals.com. They have a navigation link for animals and insects I think. They are like $1.25 each!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here