Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avidaloca

what to do with pieces of granite?

avidaloca
19 years ago

Have an access to pieces of granite scraps but no clue as to what to do with them......any ideas?

Donna

Comments (11)

• buckyforce
    19 years ago

Have them delivered, look at them, study them. Ideas will come to you. The more you read posts here by the talented people with great ideas, the more your creations and your uses for that granite will form. Lucky you!!

There is no end to what you can use those pieces for...if they are thin, you can face a fireplace, firepit with them, if they are chunks, you can make fountains. If all else fails, send them down here! I would be happy to take them off your hands! Coral rock we got, granite..not!

A

• olddutchman
    19 years ago

A focal point in a garden or fountain?
    Michael

• Fran_Kiko
    19 years ago

I also had the good fortune of acquiring a nice supply of granite, marble and soapstone. The pieces are of varying sizes, some as large as 3' x 4'. I am using them to create outdoor fountains and other types of lawn sculpture. I have invested in a variety of diamond cutting tools and am learning as I go.
    My favorite piece so far is a fountain that has a rusty steel I-beam standing vertically piercing through the center of a piece of dark green/black granite. The granite is fastened at an angle. It was a challenge cutting an I-shaped channel in the piece of granite, but it was worth it! I supplied recirculated water to the top edge of the granite slab through a simple copper pipe and the water drips off the lower edge into a small ABS tub mouted in the ground.
    The tongue-in-cheek name for the sculpture is...
    I-Beam Taken for Granite

• GardenChicken
    19 years ago

Fran_Kiko,

You HAVE to post a photo of your I-Beam sculpture. It sounds GREAT! You are indeed fortunate to have acquired such a lovely selection of stone, and to possess the ambition and imagination to make something of it.

I have been graced with soapstone. Love it!

• Fran_Kiko
    19 years ago

What do you use to carve/shape soapstone? It seems very soft and mallable. It seems like wood carving tools may do the job.
    I am not real computer literate so as soon as I figure out how to post a picture of my fountain, I will do it.

• TREESA207
    19 years ago

Hello Donna,
    If you go to my webshots community page you will see what I did last spring with pieces of granite and marble that my husband got out of a dumpster. It sure was alot of work, it took me one whole month to finish it but we are truly enjoying it now. my homepage is..
    http://community.webshots.com/user/treesa207

• TREESA207
    19 years ago

Donna,
    When you go to my homepage in Webshots, go to the album
    "home and art" then go to Spring project 2003. OK?
    Hope this will give you an idea what to do with those pieces og granite. Treesa207

• Fran_Kiko
    19 years ago

A picture of a fountain I made using a piece of granite and an I-Beam can be viewed at:
    http://www.msnusers.com/pqojjod3l8facjisajuupganj3/Documents/Pictures%2FI%2Dbeam%20taken%20for%20granite%20fountain%20%2D%202004.JPG

• grasshoppersilks
    19 years ago

Could you try posting that link again please? It tells me not found.

• Calamity_J
    19 years ago

I've seen those artic type men made with granite pieces, I can't remember what thy're called.

• dfaustclancy
    19 years ago

Trees,
    I like your granite "path". Tell me, is it slippery when wet? I like the idea of it and yours is delightful looking. All of the various colors, makes it very nice. It looks like you used pea gravel in between....did you? Very nice use of found materials.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor