Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitsy_gw

Remember those chinese glass windchimes?

Mitsy
19 years ago

You know, those ones that had the red paper and string holding the little squares of glass?

Does anyone know where you can buy these chimes, now? I loved them as a child, and would like to find some.

Comments (35)

• ratherbegardening
    19 years ago

Wow! I haven't thought of them in forever. Some had some sort of painting on them too if I remember right. Haven't seen any, but now that you mention it, I would like some too - brings back childhood memories.

• leaveswave
    19 years ago

I dunno exactly what you're talking about, but take a look at these!

Here is a link that might be useful: glass wind chimes

• laa_laa
    19 years ago

Have you tried looking in the Chinese grocery stores...or in Cost Plus?
    I see you are also from California. There are neighborhood Chinese markets in San Jose and I imagine in many other bay area cities.There are a few here in the Fresno area. They have sections in the stores where there are great imported gifts like the chimes.I don't remember if the chimes are there but it is worth a try.
    Now that I think of it, you will find all sorts and sizes of those wind chimes in Chinatown, San Francisco. I remember seeing them there only 4 years ago.
    Also,I miss the glass Japanese fishing balls. They were so beautiful.
    Lina

• IdaClaire
    19 years ago

I remember those! I used to get them in my Christmas stocking when I was a kid! I just found some on eBay. Do a search on vintage Chinese windchimes, and there they are!

• butterbeanbaby
    19 years ago

Also search seller "vintageglasschimes". They've got tons of them.

• fbdbfh
    19 years ago

Those chimes are just too kewl I'm gonna give it a whirl I have pretty much all the supplies but I need to know where I might find the traditional chinese lettering??
    any Ideas where I might find some info on this subject??
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Cheri

• Wings2W
    19 years ago

I have several from Green Dragon Arts. You'll probably be able to find just about everything in their catalogues.

This is the link for their "inspirational" choices.

Wing

Here is a link that might be useful: GreenDragonArts

• LeslieP
    19 years ago

I found the chimes in China Town in Chicago. They cost 7.00. Buy a couple of sets because some of them were broken. It took 2 sets to make one complete set. I went on a search for these chimes a couple of years ago. I now make glass windchimes and it has become my passion. There is nothing like the sound of tinkling glass. Do not hang them outside, they will shatter for sure.

• jeannebarnum
    19 years ago

I am very anxious to find these chimes. There were 8 or 12 painted glass rectangle pieces suspended by thin treads. We bought them at the 5 and dime for about $2.00 back in the 60's I want to get some for both myself and my 5 sisters. Any one who can give me a lead please email me at jeannj@worldnet.att.net.
    I am also a collector of Weatherland chimes, looking for the smallest one. I have one which is the sweetest tone in my maple tree, need LOTS more!
    Jeanne

• jeannebarnum
    19 years ago

If anyone knows where I can find these, please email me at jeannj@worldnet.att.net

• nancyx6740
    15 years ago

Re: Wind chimes

http://www.houserice.com/glaswin.html

http://www.houserice.com/glaswin.html
    Enjoy....ItÂs only taken me years to find them. Way more than they use to be at $12.95 plus shipping. Guess it is just a sign of the times.

Good Luck...Nancy

• pilgrim0104_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for those who answered re the Chinese glass windchimes. I've been looking for them also and found the closest thing at the House of Rice website. They bring back such wonderful childhood memories. Judith

• daisydal
    15 years ago

I bought some of those for my mom for her birthday last year. We remember those when I was a little girl. When they would fall apart, she'd buy some more. Nothing even comes close to the tinkle of those chimes. If you go to ebay and put in "vintage glas chimes" there is a dealer there who makes them just like the old ones. Enjoy!
    blessings-sherri

• cakirkham
    14 years ago

I found them at Amazon.com

• Puppygirl
    13 years ago

Hello everyone - I'm new so I hope this gives me a feather in my hat! I've searched for these chimes forever and finally found them!!!!!! Go to: www.amazon.com/Gorgeous-Chinese-Glass-Chime-Mobile/dp/BOOOH6RKL4
    I'm ordering one for each side of my house because I have a precious memory of my mother standing on a porch with these sparkling - colorful - charming noises. It makes me remember what a beautiful laugh she had. Enjoy!!!!!!!

• leannec2_aol_com
    12 years ago

You can find them at The House of Rice.

• GMA_3942
    12 years ago

You certainly did earn a feather for your cap from me, puppygirl! I also have memories of my mom hanging those on the porch and smiling so beautifully! I have been looking for these forever and a set is on its way! I can't wait!!! Thank you so much!

• Puppygirl
    12 years ago

Please tell me - someone/anyone - who has found out how to get these real vintage, sweet tinkling, oriental, glass chimes. I will be your gardian angel forever! Gypsy

• molsen141
    10 years ago

those wind chimes are available for sale on ebay. I have one I have been saving from a trip to china town in san fran but would love to find more likke it

• 1annabelle
    7 years ago

My grandmother always had them on her front porch :)

• geowrit
    7 years ago

I want to find some Angel Chimes, which were xmas decorations cut from light sheet metal, holding 4 candles.

The heat from their flames made a fan above them to revolve - moving the angels hanging below with it.

Their tinkling sound was similar to that of windbells. and also cast a moving shadow.

Angel Chimes were common in UK in the 1960s, but I can't find them in Italy.

• Beth Shey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mitzi...I have some of these glass windchimes, my mother had them in our h ome in the late 50s...years later found them in China town in Vancouver...fast-forward another decade, tried to find them, found in one place, told were no longer made..bought up last ten or so they had, this was in early 1990s...they were cheap cheap cheap to buy.....gave a few as gifts...wish hadn't as were not appreciated...2 have left are disintegrating.

• Beth Shey
    6 years ago

geowrit...I have a set of the brass angels you speak of...my mother had these from time I can remember...she was born in 1922. Packed away, will have a look and get a picture for you.

• HU-535248007
    3 years ago

I remember them well, my mother had them hanging on our front porch in the 60's and I loved the tinkling sound they made when the summer wind blew. I had found some many years ago and hung them outside but the wind was too strong and some broke, then my sister found some for me in Chinatown but not sure which city. I now have them hanging on a door to a utility room so every time I open the door they tinkle. I'm looking for some now online because I would love to have more. I'm pretty sure they stopped making them years ago. I tried other glass chimes but they just don't have it comparatively speaking!

• Concetta Mayer
    3 years ago

ARE YOU SURE YOUR NOT FROM MY FAMILY. THEY MUST BRING BACK GOOD FEELINGS BECAUSE MY SISTER AND I LOVE THEM. SHE STILL HAS SOME FROM WAY BACK WHEN. I DO NOT DARE ASK FOR ONE. LOL. I THINK YOU CAN STILL BUY ON AMAZON.

• Concetta Mayer
    3 years ago

BUY THE WAY. CANNOT FIND THEM IN ANY CHINESE GROCERY STORE OR RESTAURANT. THAT IS WHERE WE USE TO BUY THEM IN BOSTON MA.

• HU-535248007
    3 years ago

There are some on ebay but expensive like around $80 for the real ones. the knockoffs are plastic and just don't cut it, they don't tinkle like glass. I'm sure there are some nice glass ones of a different style that sound similar but since I can't tell from just reading about them I won't order. :(

• HU-589655902
    3 years ago

can't find any nowadays; there were two women (mother/daughter? aunt/niece?) making them a few years ago when I bought some, but can't find them anymore, that bookmark, or any record of purchase. Tried Chinatown in SF years ago and couldn't find any, and also the Asian markets in Sac. Hope somebody cranks up the making machine again, 'cuz they'd sell a bunch.

• HU-976450255
    3 years ago

Hello,

I have been Blessed with having a few of those Precious glass wind chimes ...

I still have one in its original box!!! And one wind chime that is missing a few glass pieces..

I have been making “ ART WIND CHIMES “FOR OVER 30 years...

I am driven to create very unique one of a kind Wind chimes...

I use a variety of unusual nice sounding materials .

each strand is strung with deep thoughts of harmony .

and take many hours ( weeks, months?)

to create ...

All my stained glass , Beach glass ,

Sea shells , hand made clay beads ,and many found treasures are drilled under water .

All the strands are hand knotted with love and Blessings.

If you would like to see my ART, you may contact me..

victorina033@gmail. Com

🙏🏽 thank you.

look forward to hear from you.

• HU-690227766
    3 years ago

I would love to find them too! My dad bought several over the years for me. The last one hung above my kitchen sink. I love to hear it and look at the character on the hanging double paper hanging from the middle. Ahhhh...memories! None compare to those, I don't think! I bet they don't make them anymore. They SHOULD!

• HU-589655902
    3 years ago

Agreed - somebody's missing out on a good bet here....

• HU-502540365
    3 years ago

THEY WERE ONLY 1 DOLLAR IN THE 60'S.. I FOUND ON PINTREST BUT DONT THINK FOR SALE.

• cottonpicking
    2 years ago

We had these also, and as so many have said, nothing compares to the sound of those originals from the 50’s and 60’s. That’s why 17 years after the original postposting, the thread goes on and I'm here look for the same! They’re no longer on Amazon and i can only find 2 authentic sets, both on ebay and very expensive. I imagine 99% of those fr my childhood broke a long time ago