Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remember those chinese glass windchimes?

Posted by Mitsy z9 far No. CA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 04 at 21:05

You know, those ones that had the red paper and string holding the little squares of glass?
Does anyone know where you can buy these chimes, now? I loved them as a child, and would like to find some.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remember those chinese glass windchimes?

Wow! I haven't thought of them in forever. Some had some sort of painting on them too if I remember right. Haven't seen any, but now that you mention it, I would like some too - brings back childhood memories.

o

I dunno exactly what you're talking about, but take a look at these!

Here is a link that might be useful: glass wind chimes

o

• Posted by Mitsy z9 far No. CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 31, 04 at 15:37

Those are lovely, but, alas, are not of which I speak.

The ones I remember were square and rectangular shaped clear glass, held by red paper to red strings, and-yes-painted, some of them, at least.

They were cheap, small, simple and made a soothing tinkling sound, and soo-o easy for young hands to break!

o

Have you tried looking in the Chinese grocery stores...or in Cost Plus?
I see you are also from California. There are neighborhood Chinese markets in San Jose and I imagine in many other bay area cities.There are a few here in the Fresno area. They have sections in the stores where there are great imported gifts like the chimes.I don't remember if the chimes are there but it is worth a try.
Now that I think of it, you will find all sorts and sizes of those wind chimes in Chinatown, San Francisco. I remember seeing them there only 4 years ago.
Also,I miss the glass Japanese fishing balls. They were so beautiful.
Lina

o

I remember those! I used to get them in my Christmas stocking when I was a kid! I just found some on eBay. Do a search on vintage Chinese windchimes, and there they are!

o

Also search seller "vintageglasschimes". They've got tons of them.

o

Those chimes are just too kewl I'm gonna give it a whirl I have pretty much all the supplies but I need to know where I might find the traditional chinese lettering??
any Ideas where I might find some info on this subject??
Thanks so much for sharing
Cheri

o

I have several from Green Dragon Arts. You'll probably be able to find just about everything in their catalogues.

This is the link for their "inspirational" choices.

Wing

Here is a link that might be useful: GreenDragonArts

o

I found the chimes in China Town in Chicago. They cost 7.00. Buy a couple of sets because some of them were broken. It took 2 sets to make one complete set. I went on a search for these chimes a couple of years ago. I now make glass windchimes and it has become my passion. There is nothing like the sound of tinkling glass. Do not hang them outside, they will shatter for sure.

o

I am very anxious to find these chimes. There were 8 or 12 painted glass rectangle pieces suspended by thin treads. We bought them at the 5 and dime for about $2.00 back in the 60's I want to get some for both myself and my 5 sisters. Any one who can give me a lead please email me at jeannj@worldnet.att.net.
I am also a collector of Weatherland chimes, looking for the smallest one. I have one which is the sweetest tone in my maple tree, need LOTS more!
Jeanne

o

If anyone knows where I can find these, please email me at jeannj@worldnet.att.net

o

Re: Wind chimes

http://www.houserice.com/glaswin.html

http://www.houserice.com/glaswin.html
Enjoy....Its only taken me years to find them. Way more than they use to be at $12.95 plus shipping. Guess it is just a sign of the times.

Good Luck...Nancy

o

Thanks so much for those who answered re the Chinese glass windchimes. I've been looking for them also and found the closest thing at the House of Rice website. They bring back such wonderful childhood memories. Judith

o

I bought some of those for my mom for her birthday last year. We remember those when I was a little girl. When they would fall apart, she'd buy some more. Nothing even comes close to the tinkle of those chimes. If you go to ebay and put in "vintage glas chimes" there is a dealer there who makes them just like the old ones. Enjoy!
blessings-sherri

o

I found them at Amazon.com

o

Hello everyone - I'm new so I hope this gives me a feather in my hat! I've searched for these chimes forever and finally found them!!!!!! Go to: www.amazon.com/Gorgeous-Chinese-Glass-Chime-Mobile/dp/BOOOH6RKL4
I'm ordering one for each side of my house because I have a precious memory of my mother standing on a porch with these sparkling - colorful - charming noises. It makes me remember what a beautiful laugh she had. Enjoy!!!!!!!

o

You can find them at The House of Rice.

o

You certainly did earn a feather for your cap from me, puppygirl! I also have memories of my mom hanging those on the porch and smiling so beautifully! I have been looking for these forever and a set is on its way! I can't wait!!! Thank you so much!

o

Please tell me - someone/anyone - who has found out how to get these real vintage, sweet tinkling, oriental, glass chimes. I will be your gardian angel forever! Gypsy

o

those wind chimes are available for sale on ebay. I have one I have been saving from a trip to china town in san fran but would love to find more likke it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here