Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Cleaning Algae in Small Ponds

Posted by oldjgw CA Coastal (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 22:57

Probably been asked but I've got sheet algae in my small pond, 8 ft by 8 ft by 1 1/2 deep. Rubber liner with river rocks on the bottom. Only have a few mosquito fish and aquatic plants in pots. It is partially under a plum tree and gets leaf and fruit drop. The pond gets 3 to 4 hours direct sun in summer. There is a recurculating pumb that runs a little dip line.
Suggestions on getting rid of the algae please

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Cleaning Algae in Small Ponds

I am not sure what sheet algae is, is it the same as string algae? I have had string algae several times over the years. I took apart my entire pond and scrubbed every flat surface. Then reassembled and kept debrie from falling into it as light as possible with daily cleanings with a net. Only takes a minutes when I feed my fish and helps a great deal. My pond is under a wheeping cherry and gets much leaves and blooming petal fall. Last fall I covered it with a net as soon as leaves began to fall, and kept it covered with the net all winter as I get a great deal of winter fall/blow into it. The net reduced it by ten fold...I will never enter another fall/winter without netting it again. Is a net an option? Once you rid the pond of the algae, use barley straw, it comes in either sheets you can slide under plants or rocks or in pellet form. I liked the pellet form best. If it is string algae, hand removel is about the only way I know of to remove it or so I have been told. And it will continue to regrow as fast as you remove it if you do not find and fix the source. I use the barley and a NET during times of falling leaves and I have not had string algae in about five years now...knock on wood..there is not much worse as a pond owner...good luck!

o

The Algae are in big sheets. Bright green and sort of like a wet tissue paper but with more body. (A very scientific description I know) I've netted it out and they come out in maybe 12 inch by 12 inch pieces.
I always thought barley straw was for mosquitos.

o

I have a small pond, probably 3 x 6 but it's deeper than yours, about 3 feet. I had a algae about 3 yrs ago, the people on the pond forumn suggested using hydrogen proxide, I did and the problem cleared up and I continue to use it and the algae never came back. I clean the pond in the spring put in an 8oz bottle of hydrogen proxide, if the water starts to get cloudy i drain part of the pond and pour in about a half a bottle and refill the pond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here