Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird poop in fountain

Posted by coralbells (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 07 at 0:06

We installed a fountain this summer and birds are constantly inside it, drinking and taking baths. At first I was charmed by this but now all their poop is clogging up the fountain, causing it to stop running just one or two days after we take apart the fountain and clean it.

There is no way to keep the birds away from the fountain but does anyone have advice for what to do about the poop, other than frequent cleanings. The fountain is heavy so taking it apart is quite a job. Would love to hear from someone with similar experience.

Thanks!

Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird poop in fountain

Providing things (baths, feeders, houses, etc.) for birds without having to monitor/clean them often is tough. I'd concentrate on where your water intake is and see if you can place a filter of sorts at this point - one that is easy to change out or clean regularly. We gave up using bird feeders and now toss our seed into a blue spruce - we couldn't clean the feeders enough to make them safe for the birds. You might even have to go to a different sort of bath/fountain that is designed more appropriately for just the sort of situation you are encountering (which, unfortunately, one doesn't learn about until after the fact).

o
RE: bird poop in fountain

I covered the intake holes in the fountain with fine screening to keep all animal and bird poop out and leaves too. I siphon the covers regularly to clear them. I decided the fountain was for our enjoyment not birds and other critters! So, I put 1-2 1" chlorine pellets in whenever they disolve. The fountain is clean and nice and pest free!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here