Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginamarina101

How to Write with Paint???

ginamarina
18 years ago

I'm making garden stakes for an upcoming craft show, I've got some really nice designs, and even some pretty decent "sayings" to put on them, but, well, I SUCK at writing on the plaques with the paint. What is the trick? Do I have to buy the $4 paint markers? Or is there a tool to use? I have four days - lol =)

=Gina=

Comments (6)

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Gina-If you really suck at writing on the plaques,you probably should buy the markers! LOL
    I don't know what else would work unless it would be alphabet stencils and that would be a lot of work. I usually just freehand with a brush. I don't think it has to look perfect anyway. I have also used the colored Sharpie markers. RoseArt makes some that are pretty inexpensive. Cheaper than the Sharpie brand. If you do use the markers though be sure to spray over them with a fixative before you seal them as they will run when you apply the sealer. You might even try using a pen that you dip in ink,like a calligraphy pen,and dip it in the paint. Good luck........Lillie

• User
    18 years ago

If your own writing is really uneven, I have an idea for you.

Try using the banner feature of your Publisher program.
    Format your sign on the computer to the correct size, print it out and use carbon paper to trace it on your plaque.

It's easy to go over the tracing with paint. Your choice of fonts is unlimited.

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! If I use a liner brush, I get the brush marks around and I can't get the letters to look smooth. If I use a small stencil brush, it's so rough that I get lines in the paint and the edges look rough.

I know with my sealer, my acrylic water-based paints don't smear, but if I use any spray paint that will run. I wonder what it would do with a sharpie. Maybe I should do a test quick.

I tried to write "butterfly crossing" and then I had to paint over it =/

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

I have used the colored Sharpies to write on my gourds but I have to spray over with a fixatif or the letters will run.I use Krylon Workable Fixatif from Wal-Mart.It is also available at art supply stores,Michaels and Hobby Lobby.I find it in the art supplies aisle at Wal-Mart.I also use this over water colors,colored pencils and washable markers.It will hold the paint and the sealers go on without smudges or runs.I use it with both water base and oil base,paint on and spray on sealers and it works great.I'm sure there are other brands but this one works for me and it's about $5. for an 11 oz. can........Lillie

• lynndianne
    18 years ago

I am making a sign for a quilting friend "A quilting goddess lives here". I typed the saying on the computer so that I could use it as a pattern. I will use graphite paper to get the basic lettering on the sign and then go over it with paint.
    Hope this helps.
    Lynn

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    18 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I couldnt resist telling you that I make these signs as gifts and am planning to buy a wood burning tool to do it from now on. I had been tracing caligraphy letters on and painting them in by hand using acrylic black paint, then a spray sealer. It will sure be a lot quicker this way.

Sponsored