Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! Bazillion 1ft cedar boards came to me

Posted by Baylady Z8 Va (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 21:46

Hi,
Please help me find a useful purpose for these! A neighbor who builds fences brought these home and made a small wishing well from just a few of them, then put about a hundred or more on the curb - leftover from fencing. Said customer changed mind about height of fence. Of course, I hauled them to my back yard. Am looking for birdhouse plans, but what else can I do with them?
Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! Bazillion 1ft cedar boards came to me

You can use them for flower bed edging!

o

• Posted by ltd123 6A southern Ind (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 18, 05 at 0:08

How about overlapping them like cedar shingles to artistically cover some area??
Laura

o

• Posted by Loomis Z5 Western MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 23, 05 at 0:06

Not sure whether you mean these are one foot lengths of cedar, or one foot wide boards. However, I've seen garden paths made from wood. For the life of me I can't find the link, but I recall seeing something like this in a Gardeners' Supply catalog awhile back. They can be aligned in a decorative pattern, somewhat like what is done with brick.

o

If you like grilled salmon, then soak a cedar plank for several hours in water. Place a layer of rock salt on the plank and lay your salmon skin side down on top of the salt. Salt and pepper to taste. Place on a medium to medium hot grill, gas or charcoal, for about 18 - 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily. Serve! Use a new cedar plank for each cook-out. Note that the size of the plank simply must accomodate how much salmon you wish to grill.
John

o

Hey,
What about making a few flower boxes,that would sit on the porch. Also maybe some for the windows. Apply hooks and hang your keys. Maybe even make picture frames.

o

I make garden signs from pieces of wood that size, mounted to stakes. Then I use black paint and caligraphy letters to say things like "herbs" or "Robin sanctuary" or "garden tour>" etc. When done, I spray it with clear coat. Now I am thinking a wood burning tool would last longer. Now the local garden club wants me to make some for them, so I'd better get crackin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here