Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED Bulbs @ Spot Lighting? Anyone?

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 16:24

Has anyone installed LED bulbs @ Landscape spot lighting? I tried one type of bulb and wanted report my findings:

I bought this 1.5W warm white LED Bulb from Amazon.com link
http://www.amazon.com/Landscape-Lighting-Lumen-Bi-pin-Replacement/dp/B005OFK542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319055466&sr=8-1
1. Bulb has 99 lumens and color is a bit whiter than regular 10W halogen bulb.
2. I replaced the 10W JC10 type bulb from malibu spot light
3. Light from LED was not as bright as halogen but I found it well worth it given it consumes only 1.5W.
4. Bulb supposedly has a life span of well over 20K hours.

I am planning to change all my 20 spot lights in my yard. I think a little bit of sacrifice in brightness well compensates for the power savings, 20 spot lights at 10W = 200W/hr. that is a lot of consumption of power. Specially with winters approaching, the lights in the yard will have to be on for much longer periods.

Has anyone had any luck with LED lights? I hate the solar LED and white color LED lights. I think I may have found something that works for me and I like, just wanted to get others opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED Bulbs @ Spot Lighting? Anyone?

I am changing out the mr16 halogen lamps in the building I manage. They are sort of like small interior spots. The LED versions vary wildly in price and brightness, from $20 to $50 each.

If you are happy with the one you have tried I say go for it. Reducing the number of lights would be an additional way to save.

The very bright led's that you see sometime are usually meant to be used outside. There is a new convenience store in our town that for some reason put that type of led inside. Its really awful and gives led's a bad name. I think extremely bright lights are obnoxious outdoors as well, actually.

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here