Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim0201

Anyone have a creative holder for your garden hose?

kim0201
16 years ago

Such a creative group on this forum.....I'm wondering...

Other than the usual hose holders found at the big-box stores, have you come up w/ something unusual and/or creative and/or especially attractive to contain your hoses when not in use? I'm looking for ideas for both house mounted faucets as well as free standing in my yard. Thanks much.

Comments (15)

• jazzygardener
    16 years ago

I seen an article in one of my gardening magazines where someone took an old tire and cut the metal rip off. They spray painted the tire to make it look more attractive then coiled up the hose and stuffed it into the tire. I haven't tried this myself so I'm not sure how much garden hose it will hold.

• kim0201
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks jazzygardener - sounds like it might be interesting. Now I'll have all winter to search for ideas. Thanks again.

• plumbnelly
    16 years ago

I used the actual rim of a tire. It was all rusty and I painted it with white Rustoleum spray paint. I used several heavy duty nails to hang it on the side of our shed. It blends right in with the shed and works great!

• kim0201
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've seen that done too plumbnelly. It's a good suggestion & pretty economically; lots of rims around this old farm I'm sure. Thank you for responding.

• donnaz5
    16 years ago

i use a plastic bucketwith a lid... with washers and screws screwed into the bottom, the bucket goes sideways so you can store your fertilizer, gloves, and different tips for your hose. it's waterproof. you can buy spray paint for plastics, (i think it's called pvc paint) to make it match whatever you want.my neighbor saw mine and took it a step further..she's got more time and talent than i do!! she decoupaged flowers on hers..looks really nice..they have decoupage for outdoor use now. who knew?? donna

• wannadanc
    16 years ago

I am using a plastic red strawberry - big thing - kid toy type. One can also use the turtle shaped sandboxes. The point is to have something that can be covered so as to not fill w/ water.

• tammy_crafter
    16 years ago

We use a short shepard's hook

• rosa_crazii
    16 years ago

I saw a galvanized washtub bolted to a barn with the hose wrapped around it. It was very "country" looking.

• sib5
    16 years ago

We've used a quarter oak wine barrel.

• shipp53
    16 years ago

i use an old washtub and put it in the flower bed and roll the hose up inside it!!!

• freckles2stars
    15 years ago

I like to use large baskets. Some look like laundry baskets. The strong and sturdy type. I find them at the thrift stores and they cost very little. Mine have lasted for 5 years and look fine. I set them on a round concrete paver if they are to be in an area where they would be sitting on the bare dirt. I figured when they gave out they could go into the compost pile.

• virakech
    15 years ago

Those are all such good ideas. I really like the basket idea.

We built an upside-down, L shaped holder out of 4 X 4 - about 4 feet off the ground after sinking it, and an 'arm' about 1 1/2 feet long, screwed on at a right angle. We screwed a home-plate shaped wood front onto the end of it, which holds the hose from falling off. You wind the hose up clockwise or counterclockwise in large loops.

What I really like about this is that the hose gets loosened up and is easier to handle - bringing it off the arm and pulling it across the yard, for example. Also, you can place your wood hose holder away from your spiggot and closer to the front of a flower bed, and have easy access to the hose. It really helps relieve back strain and shoulder pain.

• junkinthetrunk
    15 years ago

love the new flower pot baskets http://www.nextag.com/garden-hose-pot/search-html

• lovetocook_andeat
    14 years ago

You have a standing garden water hose holder that sticks into
    the ground. Made of Iron. See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Standing Garden Hose Holder

• sagebrushy
    13 years ago

I like ease of use and didn't think putting my hose in something was easy to get at. So, I just turned a planter upside down. Wrap the hose around it and when I want to use it I don't get frustrated because of it getting hung up on the inside lip of anything. I do secure it to the ground, sometimes with a big rock under it or with ground staples made out of old wire hangers.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor