Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low voltage garden lighting that mimics flickering candle light

Posted by etehiver (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 15:28

I'm looking for lighting that i can use in a subtle way to mimic flickering candles. I was thinking I might make or buy small wooden lanterns, or stone/concrete japanese-style lanterns and install wired lights that mimic candlelight.

I'm considering low-voltage because I could put the lights on a timer or photocell, and incorporate them into a plan that might also have some non-candle-type lights in a few areas.

I have considered solar,but our winters don't provide much light. All the solar lights I see around my neighborhood don't last more than a few hours, and are the wrong color for a candle-light effect. Most solar and LED lights I've seen have a subtle blue hue, even though they're labeled as white. I have nothing against those lights, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for to solve my design dilemma.

Any suggestions?

Ideally, I think I'm looking for something close to the battery powered ones I've linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Battery powered candle-like lights

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low voltage garden lighting that mimics flickering candle lig

LEDs do come in warm white and orange color.

If you can solder, you can replace the blue white ones.

dcarch

o
RE: Low voltage garden lighting that mimics flickering candle lig

You can buy the battery operated candles at Bed,Bath & Beyond, A.C. Moore's, Michael's, Plow & Hearth and they are wonderful. That is all we use anymore in our house. We live in a Sr. Citizens community and about 3 yrs. ago there was a bad fire in a garden apt. one windy Jan. night started by a plastic coffee maker being put on a burner that was on by mistake. A man lost his death because he went back into his first floor apt. to get some important papers and the ceiling from the apt. on fire fell on him and killed him. They had to tear the entire building down and rebuild it. Every since then, we only use the battery operated ones. They have some that are scented and the outside feels like real wax. They have a lot of hours of use, something like 100 or 500 before you have to replace the batteries. They are LED lights. Candles that come in lots of colors plus white and off white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Accoutrements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here