Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Big Ole Pox on Burpee

Posted by bigred z8 Ark. (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 1, 09 at 7:32

Ack! I'm up to my armpits in seeds and really don't "need" any more but I just got Burpee's 2009 Introduction via email. I don't "Need" any more seeds but I sure do "WANT"

Gompherna Fireworks
Dianthus:
Diana Blueberry
Chomley Farran

Nepeta Pink Cat
Petunia Summer Madness
Pansy Autumn Frills
Scutellaria Veranda

Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Big Ole Pox on Burpee

Peggy,

I also have a lot of seeds on hand, but I am going to have to send Burpee an order for a few things, including their new seedless tomato. I always look forward to the Burpee catalog, as well Parks, Johnny's, and several others.

ZM

o

Ooh, I saw that gomphrena too and man did it catch my eye!

Burpee does have a gorgeous catalog, but I don't buy too much from them because I find them expensive. And luckily, I get the majority of my other catalogs much earlier, so I often have my orders in before Burpee even comes in the mail... thank goodness, lol!

:)
Dee

o

except that Gomphrena was like $6.00!! I think I'll wait on it - especially since I have so many seeds that I had to make an excel spreadsheet to keep track of them all

o

Yup those are some expensive seeds and I'll be busting my seed budget several times order when I place my last order w/ vendor in the UK. Then I really must stop for this year.

I saw the seedless tomato. Oxymoron...seeds for a seedless tomato....??? LOL

Peggy

o

Peggy,

"Oxymoron...seeds for a seedless tomato....???"

It does sound a bit contradictory. But, like seedless watermelons, the seedless tomatoes are triploids -- crosses between a diploid parent and a tetraploid parent. Triploids are almost always sterile (like a mule) and, hence, "seedless". Since the cross must be repeated for each "seedless seed crop", they are inherently more expensive. But I suspect you already knew all of that. (grin)

ZM

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 2, 09 at 10:41

I'm going to order the "Blue Pearls" vinca seeds. Yea, I know there are purportedly 'new and improved' lavender vinca, but my beloved Blue Pearls is still the best is terms of color from what I've seen on the benches in the spring the last couple seasons.

I have to order some Browallia seeds, too, but will probably order from Swallowtail Seeds.

That's it for me this year - time is a very valuable commodity of late, unfortunately I just don't have time to do a lot with seed sowing this year.

o

zenman,
I had read that somewhere just couldn't remember exactly.Brain just doesn't hang onto stuff like that any more...LOL

o

Let me know how it goes with that 'seedless' tomato.

If your into a seedless tomato - try OPALKA it is the
only tomato I know that tastes good fresh or in a sauce. I
recommend it highly AND in each tomato you'd be lucky to find
10 seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here