Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

A Big Ole Pox on Burpee

bigred
15 years ago

Ack! I'm up to my armpits in seeds and really don't "need" any more but I just got Burpee's 2009 Introduction via email. I don't "Need" any more seeds but I sure do "WANT"

Gompherna Fireworks

Dianthus:

Diana Blueberry

Chomley Farran

Nepeta Pink Cat

Petunia Summer Madness

Pansy Autumn Frills

Scutellaria Veranda

Peggy

Comments (8)

• zen_man
    15 years ago

Peggy,

I also have a lot of seeds on hand, but I am going to have to send Burpee an order for a few things, including their new seedless tomato. I always look forward to the Burpee catalog, as well Parks, Johnny's, and several others.

ZM

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Ooh, I saw that gomphrena too and man did it catch my eye!

Burpee does have a gorgeous catalog, but I don't buy too much from them because I find them expensive. And luckily, I get the majority of my other catalogs much earlier, so I often have my orders in before Burpee even comes in the mail... thank goodness, lol!

:)
    Dee

• s_p8987
    15 years ago

except that Gomphrena was like $6.00!! I think I'll wait on it - especially since I have so many seeds that I had to make an excel spreadsheet to keep track of them all

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yup those are some expensive seeds and I'll be busting my seed budget several times order when I place my last order w/ vendor in the UK. Then I really must stop for this year.

I saw the seedless tomato. Oxymoron...seeds for a seedless tomato....??? LOL

Peggy

• zen_man
    15 years ago

Peggy,

"Oxymoron...seeds for a seedless tomato....???"

It does sound a bit contradictory. But, like seedless watermelons, the seedless tomatoes are triploids -- crosses between a diploid parent and a tetraploid parent. Triploids are almost always sterile (like a mule) and, hence, "seedless". Since the cross must be repeated for each "seedless seed crop", they are inherently more expensive. But I suspect you already knew all of that. (grin)

ZM

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    15 years ago

I'm going to order the "Blue Pearls" vinca seeds. Yea, I know there are purportedly 'new and improved' lavender vinca, but my beloved Blue Pearls is still the best is terms of color from what I've seen on the benches in the spring the last couple seasons.

I have to order some Browallia seeds, too, but will probably order from Swallowtail Seeds.

That's it for me this year - time is a very valuable commodity of late, unfortunately I just don't have time to do a lot with seed sowing this year.

• bigred
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zenman,
    I had read that somewhere just couldn't remember exactly.Brain just doesn't hang onto stuff like that any more...LOL

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

Let me know how it goes with that 'seedless' tomato.

If your into a seedless tomato - try OPALKA it is the
    only tomato I know that tastes good fresh or in a sauce. I
    recommend it highly AND in each tomato you'd be lucky to find
    10 seeds.