Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is red cypress vine the same as trumpet vine?

Posted by grspirit Z4 KS (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 9:58

Bought red cypress vine seeds and then read something about them being invasive like trumpet vine? If this is so, Please let me know and I will not grow it. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is red cypress vine the same as trumpet vine?

Cypress vine is a feathery-leafed, red (sometimes white)-flowered annual vine. It is I think Ipomoea quamoclit, also called Cardinal vine. I have seen this sometimes called trumpet vine, because the flowers resemble trumpets.

I see the common name trumpet vine more often refer to Campsis radicans, an orange-flowered hefty perennial vine.

o

Aside from what Brenda said....red cypress vines (ipomoea) will die with the frost in your zone, so don't worry.

o

• Posted by pam_aa z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 13, 06 at 18:20

I get quite a lot reseeding with red cypress when the soil gets pretty warm, but they are easy to pull out. The flowers are cool, but I love the leaves.

Campsis radican--trumpet vine is a hardy native perennial can get out hand because it can very vigorous and send lots runners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Annuals

o

Hi,

They are different. Trumpet vine is a native perennial vine while Cypress vine is an annual.

There is also a slight difference between Cypress Vine and Cardinal Climber even though their names get interchanged often (even among the seed companies, reputable ones at that!). Both are annuals, flowers pretty much the same but the foliage is very different. I personally like the foliage of the Cardinal Climber better.

I would do research on the perennial Trumpet Vine if you decide to go with that one. I had planned on growing it but upon further research, I was frightened off. I live in warm zone 8 and Trumpet vine sounded just a tad bit more of a hearty grower than what I am willing to deal with. But like I said, I'm in a much different growing zone than you. Besides, a neighbor has it so I'll just enjoy hers from afar ;)

Here are some links for Cardinal Climber and Cypress Vine. I am not endorsing the seed company at all since I have never delt with them so I can not vouch for their good business practices.

The drawings on the seed packets do depict the foliage of each accurately.

http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcatalog/flowers/cardinalclimber.htm

http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcatalog/flowers/cypressvine.htm

o

Cypress vine, Quamoclit pennata, can be invasive if you don't keep on top of the new seedling. If you compost garden refuse you may want to just throw the Cypress vine in the garbage since all of you compost will be infested with the seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here