Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floating Seeds

Posted by katladie z8La. (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 11:21

OK, I checked FAQ's and did a search and came up empty handed. Someone told me once that when you soak your seeds the one floating will either be the ones to germinate, or the ones that won't germinate. I don't remember which. Anyone ever hear of this?

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floating Seeds

Sorry, this depends entirely on the seed. Some seed will float no matter what.

o

Yep, there's this little thing called surface tension that keep some seeds afloat nomater what. If you soak seed long enough they all will sink so it isn't a great test.

o

Old eggs float....maybe that's what you heard. Maybe???

o

Thanks guys, I really don't remember what it was. I am paying closer attention to the germination results on my seed this year so maybe I'll figure it out.

Sharon

o

Kristl Walek from Gardens North writes....

Do Good Seeds Float and Bad Seed Sink?

"While cleaning seed I observed that some of the seeds floated in the bowl of water they were in, and some sank. I assume that the "floaters" should be discarded because they are likely "empties" anyway."

While in some isolated cases it might be true that floaters indicate a seed without embryo, it has not been my experience over the years testing many thousands of species, that this old "rule of thumb" has much basis in reality. I would never reject the floaters for this reason alone.

It is perhaps the case that many of these notions are simply accepted without thought, on the basis of common sense and further investigation is deemed unnecessary. However there are other reasons, aside from the lack of an embryo that would cause a seed to float.

And the only way one ever finally does answer the question is to take the experiment through to its logical conclusion- and that is to sprout both floater and sinker. Doing this will lead to surprising results.

Unfortunately, often the myth, rather than the science is what remains.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens North

o

Thanks for the link and the info crazy gardener. I enjoyed looking at the seed selection.

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here