Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter

I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories I have grown indoors this winter. Enjoy!

Comments (42)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one

Original Author
    9 years ago

#3 peony mutation

Original Author
    9 years ago

A second peony type flower

Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one for now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

INDOORS!!!!!! ??????

REALLY????

back up ...show me the setup ... take more pictures ...

And color me jealous ....crikey...blimey ... and hot spit all rolled into one

You are a wizard Harry potter.... or Hermione ....

Ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ken, your comment made me smile.

I primarily grow the vines in a windowsill with sun exposure in afternoon. I use small circular trellises to support the vines.

• ladyrose65
    9 years ago

Beautiful Gerris2. I'll probably be visiting you on ebay this spring.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

do your sticky traps really work???

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, ladyrose65!

Ken, the yellow sticky traps work well for me in trapping fungus gnats.

I am growing this cutie now. I grew the parent plant in 2007. The seed germinated quickly, which made me quite happy. It came to me with the long name of Ki Chirimenba Shiroji Murasaki Fukkake Shibori Daizaki. I wanted to see its beauty again. :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the parent flower.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a peony flower form that was waiting for me this morning at work.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Very pretty!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jaynine!

Here are views of another wonderful morning glory demono flower form. (Ki Beni Hukurin Shishi Botan Ryu'uhade -Shishi(fe) x Sasa(dl) x botan(dp) - Shishi strain).

Can you believe this is a morning glory? It is a mutant Ipomoea nil.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer view of the mutant flower.

• zen_man
    9 years ago

Hopefully you are crossing that mutant flower form with as many other specimens as possible. Now you just need to get some true yellows into your Ipomeas. I think there is a yellow species.

ZM

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, ZM. The mutant I just showed is sterile, with reproductive structures becoming petals. I too would love to see a deep yellow flower in Ipomoea nil. Someday it will happen without use of modification methods.

Here' s another blue flower from this morning.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Japanese morning glory - Ipomoea nil - Music of Mountain Stream My attempt to make a pruned bonsai-style plant has resulted in this nice short compact plant and blue-purple blizzard color pattern flower.

• zen_man
    9 years ago

Hi Gerris,

"The mutant I just showed is sterile, with reproductive structures becoming petals."

So when you planted that seed, you had no idea it was going to produce a sterile mutant??? What was the name of its parent?

" I too would love to see a deep yellow flower in Ipomoea nil. Someday it will happen without use of modification methods. "

Do you think it is possible that some Japanese breeders might use genetic modification methods? Would you object to growing yellow Nils that were created by genetic modification? Considering that the Japanese have been breeding Ipomoea nil for several centuries without getting a good yellow, I would be impatient to wait for more centuries for a good yellow "without use of modification methods."

And there is some semantics involved in the phrase "modification methods". It could be argued that hand cross pollination is a modification method.

Back to your remarkable sterile mutation. Do you have plans to propagate it by asexual means (cuttings or even tissue culture)? Have you grown any Ipomoea from cuttings? If you grew several examples of your mutant from cuttings, it might be that one of them might present a pistil or some anthers. I have routinely seen zinnia branches that seem to have different genetics. Rose breeders routinely take advantage of "bud sports". I have at times grown a few morning glories, including some of the double varieties, but I have never seen anything remotely like your mutation. I would be inspecting it very closely looking for a hint of pollen or a pistil in disguise. I would be going on the assumption that it is so unusual that it could have unrecognizable but potentially functional reproductive parts.

ZM

Original Author
    9 years ago

Seiun is one of my favorite blue Ipomoea nil varieties.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Tokiwayama is a nice deep blue.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

They are all beautiful thank you for sharing pics. It makes me want to grow these again in my garden and maybe sometime start some in pots over winter. How long does one potted plant usually bloom for? Can they be trimmed?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, woodnative! It helps to grow the vine in a warm sunny window. I grew one indoors last year that grew about 12 months. You certainly can prune a vine. Just look for the presence of flower buds and use your judgment on when to snip the end. You will eventually get secondary growth and flower buds on them.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is one that made flowers yesterday.

Ipomoea nil 'Lona Mae'

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a second flower on my Ipomoea nil 'Music of Mountain Stream' that opened this morning.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a new one that opened up today. It is a Japanese-developed strain of Ipomoea nil that came to me with the name "Ki Huiri Murasaki Botanzaki". I really enjoyed the color and pattern in this flower. It is a thrill to see the first flower of a strain never before grown in one's garden.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, sorie6 for your kind comment!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Another one

Original Author
    8 years ago

A nice mutant

Original Author
    8 years ago

Japanese morning glory

- Ipomoea nil - Ki Beni Hukurin Shishi Botan Ryu'uhade [Shishi(fe) x Sasa(dl)) x Botan(dp)] Shishi Strain

Original Author
    8 years ago

Another view of Japanese morning glory Ki Huiri Murasaki Botanzaki

Original Author
    8 years ago

Japanese morning glory - Ipomoea nil - Ki Beni Hukurin Shishi Botan Ryu'uhade

The leaves are curled and it is a normal condition.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Technically it is not winter anymore but the plants keep blooming.

Original Author
    8 years ago

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

These are so beautiful! Can you suggest a source for the seeds? I am sorely tempted to plant some. Thanks, oldbat2be

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

FAD Photos Thanks For Sharing....

What Size Pots are They in? Thanks

• mystmaiden
    8 years ago

so gorgeous! Thanks for posting the pics - I love morning glories. I have a couple doubles just now making their way up the sides of my glorietta out in the garden now. Any recommendations on seed sources, pretty please!?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Today's flowers - *LOVE*

Technically the first one is an Ipomoea hybrid and the second one is Ipomoea purpurea.

• Vireo
    8 years ago

These are gorgeous--must make getting up in the morning just a little easier :) I am inspired to grow some, for sure! Thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone, so much! Send me a private message and I will relay seed source information.

Shots from this week,enjoy!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Ipomoea purpurea white hige flower looks like a fantastic frozen flaming torch, a concept only seen in Asagao gardening and Marvel Comics.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Another Fuji no Monet flower set from today.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area