Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Indian Paintbrush - Castilleja

runswithscissors
10 years ago

It's always hard to decide which forum to post your question when several would apply. (I've been scolded before for double posting on different forums...not sure why.)

There are several past threads that have broached the subject of this wildflower and most of them go something like this: "Have you ever planted it?" "I have" "I did in a pot once" "Me, too" "I haven't, just chiming in" "I've always wanted to"

Unfortunately it is rare on any thread for people to come back later and tell how it all turned out. Did they sprout and actually LIVE? Did they make it through the winter? Did they come back? Were you satisfied with your project? Any "lesson's learned" tips you can offer?

So, here's what I already know about Castilleja: It's a biennial. It needs hosts plants, whether to steal nutrients, shelter, or water. Seed success is less than 40% germination rate, and survival rate of seedlings is terrible. It is not super picky about it's host-plants but seems to prefer grasses (darn). It almost never, ever survives transplanting, so it must be winter-sown where it is to grow. It will parasite off of Penstemon, Shasta daisy, and Blue-eyed grass (Iris).

I want to grow it in a designated wildflower area, but I have finally after years of trying, mostly eradicated the weed-grass. Are there other plants, flowers, wildflowers, other than grass that you know of that Paintbrush willingly sponges off of? Any tips to offer if you've successfully grown it and how did it turn out later?

Comments (3)