Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

Growing Marigolds from seed

katefisher
16 years ago

Thinking of maybe trying to plant Marigolds in the garden this year. As ornament and pest deterrent. Do they grow well from seed? I've tried a few different annuals from seed before but not marigolds.

Thank you.

Kate

Comments (22)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    16 years ago

*very* easy to grow from seed.

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

*very easy* to grow from seed.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

*very easy* to grow from seed.

I don't know how much pest deterrent you are going to get but who knows.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks folks. I hear what you're saying. I will give these a shot. I was contemplating planting them around my tomatoes but it would be fun to just try germinating them period even if it ends up being in a pot.

Appreciate your time.

Kate

• newskye
    16 years ago

Very easy, but slugs love 'em. I hardly even try anymore :(

• spartangardener
    16 years ago

I've never had a problem with them with slugs, although I do get slugs on my hostas. Do you grow them in full sun? Perhaps I just ahve so many hostas that they prefer those..... :-)

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slugs eh? Typically the slugs stick to the cool, damp, hosta wonderland in the side and front beds in my yard. I think the sunny spots I plant my (purchase from Rite Aid) marigolds to be too hot and dry. However I did have to go to war against the earwigs last year. Little darlings.

Kate

• ginjj
    16 years ago

This was my first time growing them from seed and they got SOOOOOO BIG!! Much better than the tiny ones that grow from six packs. An interesting thing happened however, they didn't flower much until October, Nov, Dec. They were in full sun and were set out in cell packs (from seed) in spring. Very strange. No slug problem here either.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

I don't consider them a pest deterrent but they sure are spider mite magnets! Spoil yourself by ordering your marigold seed from a catalog or on-line store. You'll be amazed at the dozens and dozens of hybrids and cultivars!

• deep___roots
    16 years ago

Quite easy if you sow in April in No. Cal. I sow 6-packs, then separate, grow on, and then plant out. Early pinching promotes bushiness.
    The variety I really like are the mexican varieties that can get 3 feet tall and bushy with the small flowers. Look real good interplanted with zinnias.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. Some great suggestions and feedback. So next question, where do you all buy your seeds for Marigolds?

Kate

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Every seed house will sell lots of varieties of marigolds. I buy most of my seed from Park's, and though I don't plant marigolds anymore, I see that they have a good selection. Looks like three or so pages of them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to see!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    16 years ago

Stokes Seeds has a very large selection of marigolds.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

And after you have successfully grown marigolds this year, save some of the seed. Many will be viable.

I allow some to self-seed** and come up on their own next year. The tiny marigold plant is fairly easy to distinguish from weeds and other plants.

** I went to the dictionaries to see if it was 'self-seed' or 'self-sow'. Seems to be about sixes. American Heritage records both and Websters only has 'self-sow'. What do you think?

• gardenfanatic2003
    16 years ago

Kate,

If you haven't purchased your marigold seeds yet, I have lots to share that I harvested from last year's plants. If you want some, send me a message through this site.

Deanna

• Donna
    16 years ago

I love chrysanthemums in the fall, but the only perennial ones that do well in the south tend to be pinks and purples (Yes, I've found Ryan's yellow and it is, indeed, wonderful, though a very fast runner). So, I start marigolds in quart pots on my deck in July or so and use them as mum substitutes in the fall, by plugging them in where summer annuals are pooped. They don't mind our heat, and by starting them late, they are at their very best just as the temperatures start to cool down. They're a fraction of the cost of mums too.

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

I was impressed with the 'simba' marigold that Burpee has - but it's unavailable... Not to promote burpee - but they also have a really nice white marigold - something like 'french vanilla'... Thompson and Morgan has LOVELY marigolds. Stokes has a multitude of marigolds - some growing 4-5 feet tall... Also offer a white/cream colored one, I haven't tried. Some of those single marigolds ("signet" I think) are very nice... Check out THompson and Morgan... I bet Hazard Seeds also has a good selection - they have a nice online catalog too..

I have always planted marigolds around my tomatoes - not sure it works as a pest deterant, but every little bit helps!!

• bfff_tx
    16 years ago

Ginnyginny
    Marigolds are short day plants, a plant that cannot flower under the long days of summer. Short day plants typically flower in the fall of the year or if sown early enough (5 wks prior approx to last frost)can bloom in spring.
    Kim

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you folks for all the information here. I'm sorry I have not responded as I have not internet access at home which is when I normally read the forum.

Deanna:

Thank you for your kind offer. I will probably be ordering a lot of seeds when I do it so will just order the marigold seeds at that time. That was very kind of you however and much appreciated.

Kate

• FSOP_COMCAST_NET
    12 years ago

I PLANTED SOME MARIGOLD SEEDS FROM LAST YEARS PLANTS IN SMALL POTTING POTS ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO AND HAVE SEEN NOTHING COMING UP YET. IS IT TOO SOON TO SEE SOMETHING. ALSO I AM USING A MISTING BOTTLE TO WATER - SHOULD I BE
    MISTING EVERYDAY?

• noinwi
    12 years ago

I bought French Marigold seeds years ago and just keep saving the seed each fall. I get volunteers too, here and there. Mine are the deep reddish-orange and gold and they look very nice planted with blue or purple...or by themselves. They get nice and bushy in the garden bed or in containers, but not too tall, about 12"-15", flowers about 2" wide.
    {{gwi:1127}}
    {{gwi:1516}}