Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Castor bean indoors?

Posted by token28001 zone7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 22:58

I've read that castor bean plants can be grown indoors. Has anyone tried this? Any idea how large they will get? I assume they need lots of light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Castor bean indoors?

I have grown them in my greenhouse, and they did OK for a while, but then they crapped out, maybe it got too hot in there (or it could have been the lack of sufficient water and fertilizer they recieved when i got too busy to care for them, oops!) Anyway, they only got about 2' tall, but like i said, I got busy in the summer and never got them planted outside and they got a little neglected. I would give it a shot in the sunniest window you have, its worth a try!

Good Luck!

o
By the Way

By the way, let me know if it works out for you, and remember that Castor Beans are very very VERY Toxic, if you have small children these plants should be avoided, especially indoors!!!

Sarah

o

No kids and a cat that only eats dry cat food. She won't touch tuna or cat nip/cat grass. Finicky thing.

I started the seeds yesterday. We'll see how they germinate and grow.

o

I doubt that you will be able to find sufficient light for your plants without supplemental sources. And remember that there is no accounting for which plants a cat will find interesting. Although my cat has behaviors much like yours, I would never try to grow this plant inside.

o

The toxin is in the beans and the beans must be masticated to cause harm. Your cat is unlikely to chew beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paracelsus

o

That is not correct information, Albert. All parts of this plant is toxic. However, it is the beans from which the deadly poison Ricin is made. The chemicals found in the beans are also found throughout the entire plant, though in lesser amounts.

o

rhizo_1 is correct. Please ignore Albert's post(s).

o

The info I've been given in past is that it is good to START the castor bean plants inside - usually on a tall shelf so kids/pets can't get at them and then, when the plants are about a foot tall (and the temp. outside is warm) that's the time to put them out. I love the deep burgundy leaved ones and in my yard, they have grown huge, with leaves maybe 18 inches across. A good companion plant is the Mexican sun flower with its lovely deep orange-yellow blooms. Look great together!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here