Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eden_gw

Nicotania, sylvestris- Tobacco woodland

eden
17 years ago

Is this plant aggressive. I have wanted to plant it but am afraid it might be aggressive.

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

It's one at least one state's list (CA), according to a quick search. The correct spelling, by the way, is Nicotiana (Nih-koe-she-Aey'-nuh)....which might help you to look up a little bit about it. As far as I know, N. sylvestris is not particularly 'thuggish', but I'd be very happy to be educated on this, just as you would!

• thistle
    17 years ago

Nicotiana as a plant is not aggresive, but the seeds are! You will find the seedlings coming up EVERYWHERE. They are very easy to remove,I transplant them to areas of the garden where they are more suitable to my garden plan.I love the fragrance of these plants and I will always want them in my graden

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Thistle, I know that some nicotianas are aggressive re-seeders, but is N. sylvestris (in particular)? It's a tender perennial, and I've READ (but will defer to experience) that it will generally reseed only in mild winters/climates.

The only thing that I know about this plant for certain is that it can get so darned BIG!!

• franeli
    17 years ago

I grow N.Sylvestris and never had a problem with volunteer seedlings.
    However, N. Alata scatters seed all over the place! The little seedlings are easy to weed out by lightly cultivating with a hoe, or sometimes I transplant some for a late summer bloom.

• elvis
    17 years ago

Nicotiana reseeds for me most years up here in Z3. Love this plant. Aggressive? I have to say no. But then, the only kind of aggressive plants that can survive here are weeds, LOL.

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

I grow Nicotiana alata (the common white w/ best fragrance) and they grow anywhere between 16" and 5'...it's very variable but usually they are at the smaller spectrum. I think it also depends on soil conditions in my various beds. Anyhoo this one opens in the evening and cloudy/overcast days...they re-seed but not a whole lot. I usually get about a hand full of seedlings each spring.
    {{gwi:1872}}
    This here one in Summer of 2005 was 5' and loaded with fragrant blooms. These are a real treat to the Clearwing Hummingbird Moths...I often had 15 at a time visit each evening :D
    {{gwi:1873}}
    Quality is poor given these were taken with a camera phone,

Vera

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Nicotania sylvestris does reseed in my yard but they need such a long season to flower that the volunteers never make it before frost. So I can imagine it might be considered aggressive somewhere with a longer season. I have to start this plant early indoors so I can get it in the ground ASAP to see it flower.

• posiepaula
    17 years ago

Here in Adams county, much like Vera, we just get a handful of seedlings. I transplant what I can to where most of the white perennials are. My mother plant made her home beside my dryer vent. LOL Does that location make it a 6b? I never did find out where it came from. Just volunteered several years ago.
    posiepaula