Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

Nasturtium indoors...

ninecrow
15 years ago

Anybody ever done this, I don't mean just starting the seeds I mean growing them to Flower and live indoors, and Been Sucseful?

Thanks

NC

Comments (27)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

apparently it can be done! I googled "windowsill nasturtiums" and got a couple of blogs, and some articles which tout that it apparently can be done. I have a makeshift trellis in my office window using fishing line and spring-loaded curtain rods (so it's invisible and not actually 'attached' to the woodwork, which is a no-no), and this will be what I attempt this year! Thanks for 'forcing' me to look it up!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd REALLY like to see yours when you do it... I'll show you mine if you show me yours... LOL
    The Seeds went in a few Days ago... Can't Wait ubtil they come up

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Sounds like a plan! Meet you back here for show & tell. Now I have to go look up what I might have for climbing nasties...I think most, if not all of what I have are mounding types. Gee, does this mean a field trip to the store seed rack???!!!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool...
    I've sown Tropaeolum majus...
    Guess so... LOL

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have my 1st Seedling hook Showing.... *Whoot*

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As of Today the 12th of April 09

{{gwi:1974}}

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

wow...do all Nasturtiums grow up in vines like that?

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

tn_veggie_gardner, no they don't. If you are buying seed packs, you need to read the back side. There are vine type and dwarf/bush type.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine are Tropaeolum Majus which from what I think I'm reading get to 3.5 running meters... Oh Boy.....

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Nasturtiums are not considered vine and naturally do not climb. but they can make beautiful hanging baskets or planted in a pot seating on top of somthing, a fey feet high.
    You probably can grow them indoor but they would need sunlight some direc some indirect to bloom.
    But you can always enjoy their leaves, as you would garden cress an water cress. They are peppery.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There Are in a Vey Sunny Window, well that is when we get some sunshine that is....
    This a bit of an Experiment and as the seeds where only 28 pence I thought I'd give it a go....

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I never ended up getting mine sown. But I did buy the climbing variety...does that count? I found them this weekend while I was winter sowing a bunch of things. Maybe I'll still try to put them in a pot.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

dave: Thanks. I do believe I got the dwarf/bush type. My plan is, this weekend when I get paid, to transplant my 10 or so seedlings into one of those big metal hanging baskets with the straw/peat insert....kind of let them grow/hang over the side of it if they want. Will a 16 inch diameter basket (about 8 inches deep in the middle) be big enough for several of the plants or should I only put like 3-4 in there? Please let me know. Thanks! - Steve

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

tn_veggie_gardner, in a 16-inch basket, I think you can only fit 2, at most 3. They grow to be a pretty thick bush. I don't know if you can tell size from this picture, but if you look at the colors of the flowers (especially on the left side), you can tell the size of each plant relative to the surrounding.

But if they get too thick or bushy, you can always eat some of the flowers or leaves.

{{gwi:1975}}

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Wow...those look nice, Dave. Mine are getting to be a good size (3-4 inches tall with 4-8 leaves). I'll be transplanting them this weekend. They are quite beyond ready for a transplant. I may just buy two more of the hanging pots and do 2-3 a piece like you suggest. How long does it take for them to flower? I started them from seed a little over a month ago. I figure maybe by late summer (July/August)? One thing I don't know about them is when they flower, of course. If they won't until next year, that's perfectly fine with me cuz the plants/leaves are beautiful. =)

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

tn_veggie_gardner, you will probably get flowers sooner than July/August. It depends on whether they have enough lights so far if they are indoor.

I don't have exact dates, but I remember procrasting so much last year and didn't start planting until July 4th weekend. I have a picture on 8/14 showing no flowers but some with flowers on 8/24. So I would say more than a month but less than 2 months. Your weather / micro-climate might be different, but it certainly won't be next year (besides, I think they are annuals, so they will die this year, but you will have PLENTY of seeds). :-)

And yes, the leaves look so good. I think of it as, no matter where you look (at a nasturtium), you see some arts.

{{gwi:1976}}

{{gwi:1977}}

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Sweet...thanks for the info. They were started indoors but have spent over half of the past 2 weeks outdoors so they're quite nicely hardened off (even if they don't need it, which i'm not sure of). They are probably quite root bound right now, but once I transplant them on Friday and give them a few days to re-root in their new homes, i'm sure they'll take off. =) The leaves on mine are still small but look a ton like the ones in your 2nd pic above, except they are darker (probably because of the Indian Princess variety they are). I definitely plan on saving seeds from them too as I love growing them already.

- Steve

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

oh, and I was told that they didn't like heat. In the summer they might "poop," whatever that means, so maybe don't plant them in the sunniest location.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Nope, they don't. I had a lovely row of "Cherries Jubilee" a couple seasons ago, and by the hottest part of summer, they did just that. I had to yank several edgers out. Some of them did survive, though, and revived once the hot spell was over. This pic was taken on July 28. We get our hot spell in August, so you can sort of see the couple that were starting to poot by end of July.

{{gwi:1979}}

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Ok, cool...good to know! I'll definitely keep them out of direct sunlight/heat then. Thanks - Steve

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone now when I'll get Flowers?
    The Seed Packet just say's Summer... ***Shrug***
    Thanks

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Ok, one last question for you, Dave. I transplanted all of my Indian Princess Nasturtiums today. I may have lost a few roots on some of them during the process. They have an enormous root system (one of mine had a root about a foot long hanging out from the bottom of the clump!). Anyways, how do they do with transplanting? They are in their final homes now. Do I need to worrk much about the fact that I lost some roots during the process? Please let me know.

Peace - Steve

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

Hi Steve, I don't have experience with transplanting nasturtium since I direct planted mine outdoor last year. I did a quick search and have found mixed result. I think most of your nasturtium will be ok. If you break major roots then maybe they will die, but nothing much you can/need to do now, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Please let us know how it eventually works out for you. Some pictures would be great too! :-)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Ok, will do. =) I think maybe one will die, but the other 12 or so should be fine. I did take some pictures of a few of them and will post tomorrow (left driver cd at work).

- Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Ok, here's a pic of 3 of the plants in an 8 x 10ish pot. Sorry if it's a tiny bit blurry. I had to take it with my phone...lol. Let me know what you think about if they look fine & when they might start flowering. Thanks! - Steve

{{gwi:1980}}

• davemichigan
    15 years ago

ninecrow, sorry there is no response to your question. I didn't mean to ignore it, but I have never grown the vine type and never grown nasturtium indoor, so I don't know the answer. :-(

tn_veggie_gardner, they look cute, but they might get very crowded though. I guess if they are the vine type they might be ok. The bush type, each will grow to be 1-ft or more in diameter.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Dave: Yea, they were wicked crowded and extremely hard to separate with 2-3 per 16 oz plastic cup. I got it done though. That pot full you see above is the only one that has multiple seedlings in it. The rest have just one. I'll keep an eye on them, root systems & all, and pot up again in the future if I think they need it. Thanks for the input. =)