Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quirkpod

annual Vinca vs. perennial Vinca?

Lavoie Boho
17 years ago

Does the annual Vinca have any unusual traits I need to be aware of? I was given seeds for annual Vinca and need to know if it's a reseeder, invasive or anything else I need to know before I use it. I'd enjoy hearing about your personal experiences with this plant. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• gardenz
    17 years ago

The perennial vinca (Vinca minor) has a completely different growth habit than the annual. It's commonly referred to as a vine and most will sport tiny "morning-glory-like" flowers in early spring. Mine produces light blue flowers.

The bedding plant vinca (Vinca catharanthus) is fairly easy to grow from seed, and it's been my experience that it will reseed itself. Not prolifically nor invasively. Matter of fact, the ones that have volunteered for me have saved me from starting new ones inside! I just dig them out and either pot them up or replant them elsewhere in another bed. So consider any reseeders a gift!

Linda

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Also, Catharanthus roseus ('annual vinca') needs to planted in a sunny location. I've always considered it an annual that thrives in hot, dry locations...solving some of those problems about what to plant where nothing else will thrive. It will rot if over watered. It's actually a perennial plant, and will behave that way in tropical locations.

Vinca minor and Vinca major are evergeen vines (or groundcovers) that much prefer moist shade. They can be invasive and hard to get rid of in some areas. They are always blue or white. There might be some pink cultivars.

• Pieonear
    17 years ago

rhizo, I wish my Vinca would invade a little around here. :) I don't think mine know they're supposed to.

17 years ago

Isn't that always the case? Plants just don't behave the way we want them to, sometimes, lol.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    17 years ago

I have a pretty variegated leaf perennial vinca with a purply - blue flower that I love. it's already started to bloom!

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

I know one thing about annual vinca....
    They are pretty tricky from seed; over water, especially in the seedling stage, and they are sure to rot. Also start now to ensure blooms before fall....they have a long stretch between germination and bloom time. With the wintersow method I started mine in April and planted them out in May. This is what I was lucky to get by August:
    {{gwi:2033}}

Vera

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Does anyone have Vinca (perennial) planted with bulbs? Was wondering if mine will get too wild and choke out the bulbs.

Jen

• stevation
    17 years ago

It does get thick and probably won't look good with bulbs. I think the bulbs will come up through it, but the vinca might rob them of some water and nutrients, making them stunted. I had some vinca overgrow into a tulip area at my old house, and I thought it just looked ratty when the bulbs were coming up through it.

• mindysuewho
    17 years ago

I have daffodils and English Wood Hyacinths growing in English Ivy as well as Vinca Vine. They have been growing well for the 25 years we've lived here. I find that the vines hide the bulbs' unattractive foilage after blooming.

• diplacidopaul
    13 years ago

My perennial Vinca is coming up every where! It starts to come up in late spring and by summer is in full bloom. It continues to flower through the summers heat (that's nice) but as the fall approaches it dies off and makes a nasty wet looking yellow mess as it rots. Not so nice any more. So yes, it is invasive - at least here in Georgia.
    The Vinca that is growing in the shade and is being used as a ground cover never blooms so I think the Vinca that is spreading every where through out my yard is an off shoot of the potted nursery plants my wife bought and planted in the garden a few years ago?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    13 years ago

Annual Vinca likes it hot and on the dry side (not bone-dry, but dryish), the more sun the better in my zone. Always stays neat and tidy in flower and foliage, no dead-heading required, not prone to disease (but may rot out if soil is too moist, especially in cool, damp spring soil). Really a great annual!

• kimcoco
    13 years ago

I have vinca minor (perennial) under a mature maple on the city way, it tolerates road salt and VERY dry conditions, poor shallow soil and thrives in a mostly shady position. It took 3-4 years to establish itself and fill out nicely, with total neglect on my part. My MIL also has it in a shady spot under a tree. Thrives there too.

• kdrew_Alaska_edu
    12 years ago

will vinca minor survive as a perennial in very northern climates like Alaska?

• bettyfb
    12 years ago

{{gwi:2035}}

This Vinca Minor has been growing in my driveway this summer and I never water it. It is doing well.

12 years ago

Betty, that's hilarious!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Perennial Vinca in my opinion can become invasive. Amazing how easy it is to root though yet when you go to buy it at the garden centers, it is not exactly cheap.

Oh here comes more rain. YEH!